Talk

Advanced search

Any pressure cooker users out there?

(7 Posts)
Judez99 Wed 26-Mar-14 14:57:20

We've had a pressure cooker for a while now but have hardly ever used it as we don't have any recipes and I don't really understand how it works...(I prefer my slow cooker!) However I know you can do really quick family meals like casseroles in it so was wondering if anyone had any tips or recipes to share?
Thanks!

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 26-Mar-14 15:43:15

I love mine and use it to quickly batch-cook things like Chilli Con Carne and Bolognese Sauce. My tips are

1. Use your normal recipe but, if you include any thickeners like flour, leave them out until the end.
2. Make sure there is a reasonable amount of 'free liquid' in the pot so that it doesn't catch on the base as the temperature goes up.

Otherwise, get the dish to the stage where you'd be leaving it to simmer, lock down the lid, get the pressure up and - in the case of a minced beef-based dish - cook at pressure for about 15 - 20 mins. Allow to depressurise, reduce or thicken if necessary. Done.

Judez99 Wed 26-Mar-14 19:13:10

Thanks - so do you just prepare it as normal in the pressure cooker eg brown the onions etc?

thereistheball Thu 27-Mar-14 08:46:11

This book is great

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 27-Mar-14 09:27:32

I prepare as normal

Judez99 Thu 27-Mar-14 22:14:54

Brilliant, thanks, will give it a try!

whatsonyourplate Fri 28-Mar-14 13:56:40

I second the book above. Wouldn't recommend the Good Food one. There are also loads of blogs etc on the web, the hip pressure cooking one is very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now