Talk

Advanced search

What to serve with/after baked cheese?

(7 Posts)
scotswoman Wed 26-Mar-14 14:36:48

Have bought this and some lovely crusty bread to give to kids for tea tonight, it's the kind of thing they will love (9, 13, 15) but they all do sport and will be ravenous so was thinking of making it a starter or side but a bit stuck on what would go with it?

They are not fussy and have quite adult tastes but it needs to be fairly simple because of time constraints. Would pasta be too carby? Salad doesn't seem enough though I may do one too depending on what else we can come up with.

siblingrevelry Wed 26-Mar-14 14:39:22

When we do a baked Camembert we have a green salad (when I can be arsed!), and dip chunks if bread and boiled new potatoes. Veg/carbs/protein in one meal!

CorusKate Wed 26-Mar-14 14:39:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JamNan Wed 26-Mar-14 15:59:12

Grapes? Cranberry sauce? Apple, carrot, raisins and cabbage salad?

How much Calvados is in it? They'll sleep well tonight grin.

tethersend Wed 26-Mar-14 16:01:33

New potatoes and gherkins or cornichons

RandallFloyd Wed 26-Mar-14 16:03:31

It's delicious! They do a Welsh rarebit one too which is lush.

I just have bread and veg with it.
Asparagus or tender stem broccoli or carrot sticks are quite handy but any veg really. Mushrooms go nicely too.

scotswoman Wed 26-Mar-14 16:25:26

Thanks everyone. JamNan I thought it would cook off like when putting wine in sauces etc?! It's only 5% calvados and it's the smaller portion than the one linked and also between three of them so hopefully we'll be ok!

I'm going to make a green salad and provide some boiled new potatoes and veg to dip. Have some chilli jam and salsa to pop on table too. I've also been to the shop and bought a selection of cured meats and I'm going to do some meatball, halloumi and red pepper skewers and have a bit of a free for all with anything else I find in the cupboards/fridge as I go. Not entirely sure it will all go but hopefully it will fill them up and there's always fruit and yogurts if anyone feels like they need it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now