Talk

Advanced search

Sloooow cooking - temperature help!

(6 Posts)
superlambanana Wed 26-Mar-14 08:39:53

I want to do a chicken casserole tomorrow (chicken thighs, veg etc) but it would need to go in before I go to work at 8.30... Can I do this or will it just get ruined (or give us good poisoning)? I plan to brown the chicken in the morning then just chuck it all in the pot. What temperature should I put it in at? Will be eating about 6pm.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 26-Mar-14 09:18:59

If it's a regular oven try its lowest setting... Gas 1/2 or equivalent. If it's a slow-cooker I've no idea, sorry. Does your oven have an automatic timer/delay start function?

superlambanana Wed 26-Mar-14 10:11:35

It's a regular electric oven. No timer sadly or I'd be sorted!

ilovepowerhoop Wed 26-Mar-14 10:18:24

could you cook it today and then reheat tomorrow?

PigletJohn Wed 26-Mar-14 10:27:31

You could pre-heat the oven to a high temperature, then turn it down to slow-cook before you leave. This will get the pot and contents hot more quickly so they will not spend so long at the dangerous lukewarm stage.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 26-Mar-14 10:37:27

I'd go for the cooking today and re-heating tomorrow option if you don't have a slow cooker. I wouldn't want to leave an oven on all day - will cost a fortune for one thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now