Talk

Advanced search

HELP!! What size sponge mix for a 12" x 9" square tin?

(6 Posts)
UmBongo Mon 24-Mar-14 18:57:44

I have to make my son a football pitch cake for his birthday tomorrow and need to know how big a mix to put in it, and roughly how long to cook it? I defer to the power of mumsnet!

Atbeckandcall Mon 24-Mar-14 22:19:01

Have a look on a search engine for cake tin converter. I use one by the Cakeulator (don't download app though, that won't be helpful for what you need). Good luck!

UmBongo Mon 24-Mar-14 23:01:59

Thank you - I have been playing with my cake tins and water to work out volume. I think I need 1.5 times the usual traybake - but I'll have to guess at how long to cook the damn thing for!

Atbeckandcall Tue 25-Mar-14 07:07:48

Bake it on a lower heat, maybe 130 fan and if it looks like it's going a bit too dark too quickly around the sides puts some parchment on the top and around the edges after 2 thirds of the baking time.
Hope it goes well!

tb Tue 25-Mar-14 15:49:48

2 eggs is enough for a 7"x10" tin, so I would have thought that 3 eggs would be enough.

LizzieMint Thu 27-Mar-14 21:12:07

Bit late for you, but you can convert any recipe by working out the volume difference (what you are doing with water, but with maths.;))
So you have a recipe that makes an 8" round cake and uses 4 eggs, say. Assume your cake is 3" deep when baked. Volume of a cylinder is pi (3.14) x radius x radius x depth. So 3.14 x 4 x 4 x 3 = 150.72
The volume you want is 12 x 9 x 3 (to get a 3" deep cake) = 324.
You can see already it's roughly double, but if you divide one by the other you get 2.14. If you multiply that by your eggs you get 8.6 - just round it up to 9.
I know it seems like a faff, but once you know how to do it you can convert any size to any other size and shape.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now