Talk

Advanced search

Proper Italian Arrabiata recipe desperately sought

(5 Posts)
Turquoisetamborine Sun 23-Mar-14 10:15:12

My favourite Italian has closed down. It was nothing special but the penne arrabiata was amazing.

It wasn't just chuck a tin of tomatoes in a pan and add chilli. It was an orangey colour and had finely diced celery and parsley. Does anyone have a recipe like this?

Shimmyshimmy Sun 23-Mar-14 13:16:28

I make mine with roasted peppers and chilli and season with extra virgin olive oil, I never order it when out as it's always a disappointing bit of chilli in a tomato sauce.

LordPalmerston Sun 23-Mar-14 13:17:17

all italian food starts with onion, celery carrot doesnt it?

Dunno but this is how I do mine:

- half moons of red onion, v long thin slices of red pepper, garlic - fry (this is where I'd add in the finely diced celery and the finely chopped parsley stalks to try to get it like your restaurant one)
- add chopped red chilli and a big slug of wine (red or white: whatever there is)
- add fresh finely chopped tomatoes (lose the seeds but i generally cba to skin them and often use cherry as I like them better)
- simmer down a bit, adding lots of black pepper, a pinch of salt and another of sugar, more chilli if needed and perhaps a bit of water/more wine
- add loads of fresh parsley
- I often chuck halved olives in too

Turquoisetamborine Sun 23-Mar-14 18:07:59

Thanks for the tips, going to try it tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now