Talk

Advanced search

What puddings do you give to your children?

(19 Posts)
Moomachine Thu 20-Mar-14 18:24:40

I'm running low on ideas for everyday puddings.

I want to provide some form of pudding as DS and DD aren't the best eaters, so it's just another chance to get food into them.

Unfortunately they don't like yogurts and they eat fruit throughout the day, so I don't want to only provide that.

All ideas welcome!!

Thanks

Artandco Thu 20-Mar-14 18:30:29

I usually only give fruit or yogurt regardless. Occasionally I make some rice pudding

Artandco Thu 20-Mar-14 18:30:53

I usually only give fruit or yogurt regardless. Occasionally I make some rice pudding

ilovepowerhoop Thu 20-Mar-14 18:32:30

mine are 7 and 10 and they either have yoghurt or an ice lolly.

Dancingdreamer Thu 20-Mar-14 18:33:59

What about making cakes with hidden vegetables eg carrot cake, courgette cake or even beetroot cake? Loads of good recipes for these on line. You get get the kids to help make them too as a fun activity at the weekend.

Shimmyshimmy Thu 20-Mar-14 18:40:11

The less real food my dcs eat, the less sweet stuff & snacks they get, eventually they get an appetite for normal food. What age are your dcs machine?

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Thu 20-Mar-14 18:43:37

Pancakes, apple pie or cake. Rhubarb crumble, rice pudding...

But midweek usually fruit and yoghurt or cake and ice cream.

Totesamazeballs Thu 20-Mar-14 18:45:58

Bread and butter pudding with not much refined sugar but fresh fruit and /or dried fruit to give it some tang. So quick and easy.

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 20-Mar-14 18:49:52

I know they eat fruit throughout the day but how about extending the variety?

DS loves Eton Mess with mini meringues, strawberries, fruits of the forest and quark with a bit of cream. (I buy frozen boxes of berries for value)

Strawberries and squirty cream go down well with DS and DH (you can buy the reduced fat version)

Jelly set over sponge fingers with chopped fruit

I make a crumble once a week with rhubarb or gooseberry filling, but I now halve the sugar and use oats in the mix.

When we are feeling super lazy I have a few packets of Angel Delight hidden at the back of the treat cupboard. grin

We only tend to have pudding 2 or 3 times a week max.

Smartiepants79 Thu 20-Mar-14 18:53:20

On a normal day just yoghurt and fruit, maybe a biscuit.
On special occasions ( when I can be arsed) they have almost anything I would have.
Cake, pie, crumble, rice pudding, ice cream, jelly.
Pancakes sometimes.

CheesyBadger Thu 20-Mar-14 18:55:40

Cbeebies puddings are quite good - try getting the I can cook book. Dd loved blue jewel bakes

Moomachine Thu 20-Mar-14 19:05:14

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I was wondering about the I can cook recipes, so will have a look at those.

DS is 4 and DD is nearly 2. They do eat savoury food ok, it's just more that they don't eat a lot. They'd probably both rather graze throughout the day if there was the opportunity.

There's some good ideas here, so thank you everyone.

stuckindamiddle Thu 20-Mar-14 19:05:26

Some great ideas here. Been lacking inspiration for my toddler.

Presumably shop bought meringues (for the Eton Mess!) would be safe for an 18mth old?

I generally give fruit and / or yoghurt. Tinned fruit in juice is super easy / convenient and gives variety e.g. pineapple, satsumas etc. I also sometimes add a bit of St Dalfour, sugar free jam to yoghurt too.

I have a great, healthy cake recipe my little one loves. I'll try to post it later but main ingredients are all bran, flour, milk, sultanas or raisins, sugar or alternative and a ripe banana or two.

Shimmyshimmy Thu 20-Mar-14 19:25:41

I'd focus on food that's nutrient dense, eggs, nuts, cream, butter, yoghurt, fruit with as little sugar and white flour as you can get away with.

I used to make my dcs friands - lots of eggs and almond with fruit, I froze them - nuked them for 20 secs. With the egg yolks I'd either make custard or ice cream.

CoffeeChocolateWine Thu 20-Mar-14 20:12:43

Yoghurt/mousse
Rice pudding
Fruit crumble
Bread and butter pudding
Jelly and ice cream
Fruit kebabs
Mini muffin with custard
Choc pear pudding (a Nigella recipe)
Eve's pudding
Banana custard
Strawberries (chocolate-dipped if I'm feeling kind) and ice cream
Date pudding with toffee sauce
Sorbet
And arctic roll and vienetta are always in the freezer!

eatyourveg Thu 20-Mar-14 20:42:50

fruit charlotte/crumble
bread & butter pudding
fruit tart
lemon pudding
jam upside down pudding
chocolate sponge and custard
jam tarts
apple bakewell
banana bread

AuditAngel Thu 20-Mar-14 20:58:50

Frozen frubes are a treat in our house. I put the tubes of fromage frais into the freezer then they gave them instead of ice pops.

Banana custard
Chocolate biscuits

neversleepagain Fri 21-Mar-14 13:56:00

Muesli bars, banana bread, carrot cake (with no icing), rice pudding, tapioca pudding, custard and bananas.

redmayneslips Fri 21-Mar-14 16:04:29

I have a dd who does not eat huge quantities and I pretty much always offer her some dessert. Her dinner typically might be pasta with homemade bolognaise sauce and parmesan, a spoon of marinaded olives in a ramekin, a satsuma and once she has made a good effort at that she can have an ice-cream in a cone, a mini-apple pie, small slice of choc or carrot cake, couple of squares of choc etc.

Typical 'desserts' here would include:

mini profiterole
slice of carrot cake (homemade)
homemade fairy cake (sometimes with melted choc on top, or coconut and jam)
Rice pudding
apple tart
mini apple pie
ice-cream in a bowl or in a cone with a mini-flake
brownie with ice-cream

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now