Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm after some suggestions for brilliant breakfasts please.

(22 Posts)
AFishCalledBarry Wed 19-Mar-14 09:34:53

Recently DD (almost 4) has been so exhausted in the evenings she hasn't managed to eat a thing, so I've decided to turn everything around and give her decent breakfasts and something small and simple for supper.

This morning she's had banana pancakes and was still hungry so now she's having a boiled egg.

I don't want to be giving her eggs every day so I need some other ideas.

She's not super keen on homemade smoothies, but it does depend on what fruit I use (doesn't like the seeds from strawberries for example) so if you have any brilliant recipes for alternatives I'd be grateful. I've found a recipe for a breakfast in a glass which contains wheatgerm so I'll give that a try too. I'm not expecting it to go down very well though because she's very picky. She's also gone off porridge recently which doesn't help.

Other ideas I've had are ham or bacon sandwiches and banana oat muffins.

If she doesn't have much protein at breakfast I can obviously make sure she gets plenty later in the day, although it would be good to get some protein in if I can.

Any suggestions would be really welcome. Thank you.

Icedfinger Wed 19-Mar-14 10:27:29

Does she prefer savoury?

I used to like toasties for breakfast- cheese and marmite, tuna and cheese, cheese and apple.

Lots of recipes about for breakfast muffins.

Sausage sandwiches- veggie sausages are good for this as can be cooked from frozen.

Different bready things- crumpets, muffins, croissants, rolls etc can all be filled or topped.

Continental- meats, cheeses etc.

MERLYPUSS Wed 19-Mar-14 10:31:15

How about beans on toast with grated chese?

Mygoldfishrocks Wed 19-Mar-14 12:05:30

it might help to not think so much in terms of specific breakfast foods

I give my 7 year old wraps filled with ham, cheese and peppers. or beans on toast. sometimes brioche with fruit and chocolate milk and sometimes pancakes with bananas

whatever really!

goodasitgets Wed 19-Mar-14 12:16:06

Hot smoothie thing?
You can play with ingredients but basic one is banana, hot milk, spoon of horlicks, handful of oats, spoon of honey, cinnamon

Ham and eggs - line a muffin tray with ham to make a sort of cup, add whatever else you like (mushrooms are good), crack egg and bake in oven until egg set

Greek yoghurt with berries/banana/crushed nuts/oats/granola

throckenholt Wed 19-Mar-14 12:24:39

something pasta based ? mine love pasta, with bacon, spring onions and cheese.

Mine (a bit older) will happily eat lasagne, or mince and pitta, or even cold pizza for breakfast.

If it is replacing the main meal I would want to get a bit of protein in.

BloooCowWonders Wed 19-Mar-14 14:27:14

Why not eggs every day OP?
They're a superb source of protein and so fast!
Scrambled with salmon, poached with toast, omelettes with whatever leftovers you have etc.

AFishCalledBarry Wed 19-Mar-14 15:12:53

Thanks everyone.

Blooo I was always told it wasn't good to eat too many eggs in a week so I've always been a bit worried about having them daily!

Unfortunately she considers baked beans to be the work of the devil, otherwise that would be nice and easy.

I've done bacon and egg in a muffin tray before and have that on my list of options, just forgot to list it.

Thanks again smile

ShoeWhore Wed 19-Mar-14 21:31:04

I know it's eggs again but omelette?

My friend makes nice savoury muffins with ham and cheese; also cheese scones.

I also thought of cheese toasties (yum!) and granola with greek yoghurt and fruit.

Toast (or bagel) with cream cheese or peanut butter?

Shimmyshimmy Wed 19-Mar-14 22:15:43

The advice to limit your egg consumption is now considered invalid. There's no limit on eggs - no connection between cholesterol in eggs and cholesterol in the blood.

have4goneinsane Wed 19-Mar-14 22:26:11

Things that go down well here:
- bread and butter pudding (leftovers, or in the slow cooker overnight)
- fruit crumble
- I have a slow cooker recipe for a hash brown 'casserole' - which is basically grated potatoes, ham/bacon and eggs baked over night
- baked oatmeal with yoghurt (another overnight slow cooker recipe)
- leftovers from the night before - curry, pizza, bolagnese on toast with cheese
- crumpets and cheese under the grill
- bacon & egg sarnies
- semolina - chocolate or plain
- boston baked beans (taste totally different from tinned baked beans, which I agree are the work of the devil!)

In terms of smoothies without 'bits':
- banana and milk
- mango and banana
- pineapple & mango
- peach & mango
banana goes with anything but can be a bit overpowering flavour-wise, I tend to serve a smoothie alongside whatever they are eating

pregnantpause Thu 20-Mar-14 08:25:29

Today I had a slice of multiseed bread toast, topped with buttered spinach and smoked salmon. It was delicious, though my DC wouldn't have eaten it! wink

JanePurdy Thu 20-Mar-14 08:31:45

have4goneinsane can you share your slow cooker recipes please? I fancy trying something in slow cooker overnight.

nilbyname Thu 20-Mar-14 08:35:13

Quesadillas, lots of fillings to be had-
Cheese, onion, tomato, tuna, ham, chorizo, salami, and on and on!

have4goneinsane Thu 20-Mar-14 08:47:26

both of the ones I've mentioned come from the Year of Slow Cooking blog (fab recipes, I now have the first of her recipe books and my family live off it - she's of the 'shove it all in and leave it' and the 'whatever ingredients you have will do' school of cookery)

Baked Oatmeal
crockpot365.blogspot.com.au/2008/11/crockpot-baked-oatmeal-recipe.html

we do ours overnight by setting the timer on our slow cooker (you can use a plug in timer if your slow cooker doesn't have one)

Hash Brown Casserole
crockpot365.blogspot.com.au/2008/08/crockpot-hash-brown-breakfast-casserole.html

this makes ENORMOUS quantities (fills my biggest slow-cooker and would feed about 12 people easily), we can't get the hash brown stuff so I just grate the equivalent weight of potatoes in the food processor

bread and butter pudding - I just make it as normal but cook it overnight in the slow cooker

LyndaCartersBigPants Thu 20-Mar-14 09:33:27

Porridge with various toppings (apple compote, nuts, chocolate, raisins) or squashed banana mixed in.

I used hot cross buns to make french toast this morning - a good combination of carbs and protein to fill me up for the morning. Served with some blueberries it would have been a pretty healthy brekky but I just had it with some sugar on

Technical Thu 20-Mar-14 09:53:08

Yes, I agree with Shimmy. The advice to limit eggs has been discredited and it was only ever for middle aged adults concerned about cholesterol levels anyway. Eggs are great.

Other good breakfasts my DSs enjoy are:

Fish finger sandwiches
Sausage sandwiches
Sardines on toast
cheese on toast
Yogurt and fruit and nuts
Left-over crumble and custard

(I hadn't realised how much bread there is there!)

TBh though you could give her what you had for dinner the night before. Eg if you make spag bol save a portion for her to have in the morning.

MERLYPUSS Thu 20-Mar-14 10:10:20

my two always used to like avocado too. I know its a bit of I like or loath thing but may be an idea. also rice pudding

MelanieCheeks Fri 21-Mar-14 14:04:55

Overnight oats (or Bircher muesli)

Soak porridge oats overnight in milk, water, or fruit juice. Add some dried fruit at this stage to plump it up.

In the morning add, fresh fruit, grated apple, natural yoghurt, honey, seeds, nuts etc to taste.

Its a good recipe to make a big bowl of "basic" and then let each family memebr do their own preference of add0ins.

Rumplestiltskinismyname Fri 21-Mar-14 14:13:23

French toast with bacon.
Savoury pancakes
Corn pancakes

I'm thinking along the same lines as ds starts school in September and I'd like him to have a hot breakfast before the day begins, as he'll get easily distracted at lunchtime!

MelanieCheeks Fri 21-Mar-14 14:46:00

A "graveyard": Toast, spread with peanut butter, and some crispy bacon sandwiched between.

LizzyLiz Fri 21-Mar-14 20:27:06

We often have 'breakfast in a cup' made with oats, yoghurt, honey, apple juice or milk, banana and frozen raspberries all blended together.

Bircher always goes down well.

Also I do my own muesli mix with oats but other cereals like rye or barley flakes, dried fruit, nuts etc which is really easy to adapt to whatever she likes and then just add yoghurt and fresh fruit if you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now