Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for flavouring a rice pudding or should I just leave it alone?

(8 Posts)
sicily1921 Tue 18-Mar-14 11:14:44

Hi, I've got a recipe for kheer, aka rice pudding, from an Indian recipe book but it does not mention any additional flavourings, which disappointed me a bit because I wanted to do something a bit different and just wanted to use up some cream. Any ideas please? Would cardamom be any good? Thank.

thenumberseven Tue 18-Mar-14 15:04:33

I believe cardamom is used for Indian rice pudding. Have never tried it though.
My rice pudding is full fat milk, rind of a lemon, rind of an orange and a cinnamon stick to flavour the milk. When about to boil I add short grain rice and lower heat. I keep it simmering until rice is done and creamy then add sugar and cream. I remove the rind and cinnamon, put the rice in serving dishes and sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Or put in ramekins, sprinkle with sugar and caramelise (like creme brulee)
I may try the kheer next time for a change. Have never made rice pudding with long grain rice

mrspremise Wed 19-Mar-14 19:15:10

sultanas and nutmeg. Best rice pudding ever smile

Saffron.

Otherwise, bake a normal rice pudding and then eat it with plums which you've halved and stoned then baked in honey and port with some cardamom and cinnamon.

I had a rice pudding with poppy seeds and honey baked figs in a restaurant a few weeks ago - that was lovely.

Rhubarb is good with rice pudding too.

Layl77 Wed 19-Mar-14 19:35:29

Nutmeg

Hiphopopotamus Wed 19-Mar-14 19:37:06

My lovely (sadly departed) Nan used to make rice pudding with coconut milk instead of regular milk as a treat!

Fairylea Wed 19-Mar-14 19:38:08

I always add a few drops of vanilla and some mixed spice. And lots of butter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now