Talk

Advanced search

Easy soup recipes, easy healthy meals that can be frozen and are cheap!

(6 Posts)
Needtochillax Mon 17-Mar-14 19:23:42

I want to be more healthy and eat more fresh foods and I think the only way I can do this is to make stuff in batches that can be frozen. Or to buy a particular ingredient and be able to make a variety of meals with it.

Would any lovely people care to share any recipes or ideas that fit that description? The cheaper the better :-)

thenumberseven Tue 18-Mar-14 16:02:34

Minestrone soup. Make with a mixture of fresh and frozen vege, pasta and beans in meat or chicken broth, can add bacon(beans can be from a jar)

Chicken soup,made with ckicken stock, add noodles or rice. For a change you can add chopped boiled egg and shredded chicken or ham.

Cream of tomato soup, served with raviollini and grated cheese.

Cream of pumpkin soup flavoured with curry.

Cream of zucchini (courguette) with added creme fraiche or cream cheese

Cream of vegie. Potato, carrot, broccoli, courgette, onion.

Lentils with chorizo. Cook chopped onion in a little bit of oil, add chopped garlic and sliced carrot. Add chorizo slices, some green capsicum and chopped tomato. Add paprika and ground cumin(if liked)Add the lentils a bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and water to cover.Simmer or pressure cook until lentils are done. 15 minutes before they are done you can add chopped potato.

Spanish gipsy stew(meatless and economical) cooked chick peas, cooked white beans. In small amount of oil cook onion and 2 whole garlic cloves and small piece of bread,when done remove garlic and bread and save. Add a chopped tomato and some tumeric, add flat green beans cut into pieces. Add water and when boiling add chopped pumpkin(squash). Lower heat and cook until green beans and squash are almost done, add the chick peas and white beans and when done add pears peeled and quartered. Take some of the cooking liquid and make a puree with the bread and garlic which was saved at the start. Add to stew to help thicken. If pears are soft add at the very end if hard cook until tender.

Red kidney beans with chorizo, carrot and cabbage.

Lentils with bacon, spinach and rice

saidnooneever Tue 18-Mar-14 16:06:57

Carrot and lentil soup : carrots, celery, onion, lentils, garlic, stock, chilli (optional). Cheap and tasty.

Laska42 Tue 18-Mar-14 19:32:15

Here's my Aubergine Chickpea and Spinach curry which i posted on the 5:2 recipe thread so it is so it low calorie Its had some good reviews from those who have tried it ...

.But can eat it with rice and yogurt to make it a complete protien and a balanced meal. Quick-cook brown basmati rice is good i thin kespecially cooked with some onions cardonom and turmeric (and maybe some raisins added at the end ) as a sort of 'pilau' ..

Aubergine Chickpea and Spinach curry
serves 4 huge portions at about 200 cals each

1 x 400g tin chickpeas
2 medium aubergines, cut into cubes
2 onions chopped
A couple of sprays of olive oil
2.5cm knob of fresh root ginger, grated
4 cloves of garlic,
1 hot chilli pepper, seeded and chopped (more or less depending on how hot you like it)
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp Turmeric
3 cardamom split
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
225g spinach, chopped roughly
Bunch of fresh coriander chopped
Vegetable stock cube made up to about 400ml

Stir fry the onion in a couple of sprays of oil to brown, adding a little stock if it seems to burn
Add the aubergine cubes and just enough stock to keep them moist,. Add the ginger, garlic chilli, coriander and cumin and stir fry a little taking care not to burn the spices. Add the tomatoes and their juice, the turmeric the cardamom the rinsed chickpeas and the rest of the stock or water Bring to a fast simmer the turn down heat and cook for 25 minutes, or until the aubergine feels soft but is still in cubes. Add the spinach and cook for a further minute or two till the spinach is wilted . Add the chopped coriander ,

Season with salt and pepper, and serve. This is even better made the day before you want to eat it . and good with a dollop of 0% fat yoghurt and some more fresh chopped coriander

Laska42 Tue 18-Mar-14 19:34:12

And here is a link to some good ideas for lentil etc recipes that I had posted the above recipe on before

Laska42 Tue 18-Mar-14 19:43:54

Do you eat meat? these turkey and courgette burgers are fantastic! and can be made in advance and frozen (in fact all of Yotam Ottolenghis recipes are fantastic and often very cheap as he concentrates on Middle Eastern food which is often cheap to make but very, very , yummy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now