Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What meals can I cook an elderly lady?

(8 Posts)
KiwiBanana Mon 17-Mar-14 19:15:10

I'd like to cook some meals for my grandma that can be easily frozen and reheated in the oven but I'm stuck for ideas!
She doesn't like anything too heavy or fatty as it gives her stomach ache, but then again doesn't want plain, boring food.

I'm a reasonably good cook if I've got a recipe to follow, I just need some inspiration!

Badvoc Mon 17-Mar-14 19:22:42

Cottage pie?
Stew?
Sausage casserole?
Frittata? (Can be eaten cold)
Toad on the hole?
Spongy puds like jam role poly and bread and butter pudding

BlueChampagne Wed 19-Mar-14 13:45:56

How lovely. How about Risotto?

BlueChampagne Wed 19-Mar-14 13:47:19

Fish pie, with veggies included?
Macaroni and broccoli cheese?

BloooCowWonders Wed 19-Mar-14 14:29:50

Don't forget that it's common to need slightly stronger flavours as you get older and taste buds and sense if smell become less effective.
So wine in gravies and extra herbs all round might be a good way forward.

KiwiBanana Wed 19-Mar-14 14:36:22

Thanks, some good ideas!
I forgot that she loves fish pie so will definitely knock a batch of that up.

soontobeslendergirl Wed 19-Mar-14 14:46:11

I've never tried to freeze one, but you can buy them frozen so presumably you could, but my elderly mum's favourite when I come to visit is an omelette. It's something she can't be bothered to make for herself as it involves doing things other than microwaving!

She is also partial to a curry and likes if we take any left over bolognaise sauce down as she is happy enough to heat up a pot of pasta. Sometinmes I'll just put some pasta or macaroni through the sauce in advance and it microwaves pretty well. She finds spaghetti a bit too fiddly.

If she is a fish fan, then a tin of mackeral done in olive oil is really good value protein for her. We drain off the oil and break it up into some warmed up spicy rice. But my son just loves it plain on a sandwich.

redmayneslips Fri 21-Mar-14 16:14:49

I would go for some of the following (based on my parents)

Beef and red wine stew
fish pie with peas
chicken and leek pie
lasagne with garlic bread
meatballs with mash
Roast chicken dinner
bacon, cabbage, potatoes
roast beef with potato gratin and veg
big pot of veg soup and brown soda bread
pork chops with honey mustard sauce and potatoes and veg
baked / poached salmon
quiche or veg tart

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now