Talk

Advanced search

home made pizza novice - help please!

(4 Posts)
BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Sat 15-Mar-14 09:41:01

Hello...

I'd like to make pizza bases but I'm a poor cook!

I have a food processor with a dough hook so will be using that too lazy to knead

Anyone got a foolproof recipe? I've read various recipes but some say let it prove, others say top and bake straight away? ?

TheSkiingGardener Sat 15-Mar-14 09:58:59

- 300g strong white flour
- 3g easy-blend yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 15ml olive oil
- 175 ml water

If you have semolina, then replace 50g if the flour with semolina. Put it all in your processor and let that knead it. When it's a smooth dough you can either use it straight away or let it rest, then knock it back and use it. Do you let it rest you get a chewier crust so it's whatever you prefer. I tend not to. Roll it out thinner than you think you want, top and put in a preheated, very hot, oven. If you have a pizza stone preheat that too.

By the way, getting a topped, floppy pizza into the oven can be tricky, especially if you want it directly on a stone so put the I topped dough on a piece of foil or non stick may before sliding that into the oven

MrsCosmopilite Sat 15-Mar-14 10:04:25

I do all my pizza base making by hand.

The nicest recipe for pizza bases I've found is the Jamie Oliver one. The most foolproof one is the Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall one.

Both use yeast and will need time to 'prove' - that is, for the yeast to do it's work and make the dough the right consistency.

I quite often use a quick and easy scone-based pizza base, from a kids vegetarian cookery book:

250 g self-raising flour
50 g unsalted butter, cubed (or good quality butter alternative spread)
a little water
extra flour for kneading and rolling

1. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 7.
2. Lightly grease two baking trays
3. Sift the flour into a bowl, add the cubed butter and crumble together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Add a good splash of water to the flour and butter and combine first using a fork and then use your hands to bring it together to form a ball of dough. If you find that the dough is very sticky add a little more flour.
5. Use some flour to lightly dust the worktop and the dough and gently knead it using the heel of your hand.
6. Cut the dough in half and use some more flour to dust the rolling pin and the dough, then begin to roll each piece out. (It will not look like enough to cover a baking tray but keep rolling and it will.)
7. After every couple of rolls lift the pastry and give it a half twist around to stop it from sticking to the table, and use more flour to dust if required.
8. Continue to roll into a very thin rectangular shape the size of the baking tray.

Then put on tray, top, and bake for 10-15 minutes.

maillotjaune Sat 15-Mar-14 10:07:37

The HFW is ridiculously easy. I do it by hand, only knead for 5 mins, leave for an hour then roll out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now