Talk

Advanced search

Easy weekday veggie ideas for kids

(16 Posts)
suecy Wed 12-Mar-14 17:39:09

Have 2 veggie DCs. Both fairly fussy to add to the mix! During the week it isn't possible to eat as a family - at weekends we have cottage pies, roast , pasta etc.

Can anyone give me some good ideas for weekday meals for them that are quick and healthy - I seem to be dipping into the freezer for veggie burgers/sausages and some form of frozen potato far too often. Not that that is absolutely dreadful, but it lacks variety and excitement!

I've already built in 1 pasta dish n 1 jacket potato night.

Please share ideas and recipes!!

RomulanBattleBagel Wed 12-Mar-14 17:54:01

Cauliflower cheese? I made that for mine yesterday. You could do a big batch of sauce and freeze it in portions to make it easier? Or even prepare the actual dish if you have Pyrex type dishes.

RomulanBattleBagel Wed 12-Mar-14 17:54:42

Oh and I do it as 'trees n cheese' sometimes (broccoli as well)

BellaVida Wed 12-Mar-14 18:04:03

- Stir fry with chicken pieces, egg noodles, chopped peppers, bean sprouts etc & whatever sauce they like.
-Vegetable risotto
-Tortilla wraps with Quorn fajita strips, salad, grated cheese etc
-Chick pea/bean and veg stew with crusty bread
- Omelettes with tomato salad

They are all quick and easy to prepare.

BellaVida Wed 12-Mar-14 18:04:55

Sorry-the stir fry is obviously Quorn chicken style pieces- oops!

TryingToBePractical Wed 12-Mar-14 18:07:33

you could do risotto one day, e.g. mushroom, pumpkin etc
Spanish omlette one day
bean burritos
stuffed peppers
vege kebabs

Artandco Wed 12-Mar-14 18:10:01

Mushroom and broad bean risotto
Spinach omelette with green beans
Veggie special fried rice
Pesto and spinach pasta with peas

TryingToBePractical Wed 12-Mar-14 18:12:18

soup, og tomato

tshirtsuntan Wed 12-Mar-14 18:15:31

Stir fry
Veggie/bean fajitas
Scrambled eggs (can add cheese,tomatoes etc)
Veggie ramen

tshirtsuntan Wed 12-Mar-14 18:16:12

Ooh and pizza grin

mrspremise Wed 12-Mar-14 18:21:08

falafel in pitta with salad or roast veg

RedundantExpat Wed 12-Mar-14 18:28:21

pasta with cauliflower, pasta with broccoli, pasta with eggplant (zap eggplant in microwave, whizz in a blender with basil, add to a normal tomato sauce), pasta with lentils .... can you tell I cook pasta quite often?

Lookslikerain Wed 12-Mar-14 19:47:37

Do you eat eggs? This is always my suggestion on these kind of threads, but mine love egg fried rice. Couple of eggs scrambled in the frying pan, rice (already cooked and cooled, or it goes stodgy), peas, sweetcorn, sesame oil, soy sauce. That's just a basic recipe. You could add any other veg like onions, peppers, green beans, garlic, chilli, ginger etc. Maybe some sweet chilli sauce if the feeling takes you.

Make the rice earlier so it can go cold then it only takes a max of 5 minutes in a frying pan.

sharond101 Wed 12-Mar-14 22:17:45

frittata, pitta bread pizzas, quiche, quesadillas, roasted veg and cous cous

KittieCat Wed 12-Mar-14 22:24:49

This is my go to recipe. Quick, easy and tastes fab!

https://m.waitrose.com/worklight/apps/services/www/Waitrose_Real/mobilewebapp/default/Waitrose_Real.html?l=recipe&recipeUrl=/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/r/roasted_tomato_risotto1.html#DynamicTrolleyView,LeftSidebarMenu,waitrose/views/SearchCategoryView_0,LoginModalView,LoginView,dojox_mobile_SwapView_0,RecipeDetails

pregnantpause Thu 13-Mar-14 07:14:22

I feel like a broke record because I say the same thing in all weekday meal threads regardless of veggie/non veggie

Soup! There's loads of variety and with a nice crusty roll and chunk of cheddar alongside you can't go wrong IMO- carrot and coriander soup, tomato and basil soup, red lentil and chickpea soup, Courgette, broccoli and Stilton soup, creamy parsnip soup, Curriesd parsnip soup,, butternut squash and coconut soup , noodle soup (miso broth with pak Choi ,bean sprouts and noodles) leek and potato.soup, pea soup, onion soup, butter bean soup is creamy and delicious, pearl barley and squash stew, mexican bean soup, scotch broth, country vegetable soup, spring veg soup, minestrone, ribolata, pretty much anything goes, and it's easy to make, easy to freeze and store, lasts ages int fridge and is mostly very healthy.

I find roasted veg 'chips' goes down well, slice carrots, parsnips and potatoes into chips and roast for mixed veg chips.

Eggs, beans and toast.

Omelettes are quick and varied, cheese and tomato, cheese and peas, cheese and peppers etc.

Mine like grated carrot and cheese stuffed into the pocket of a pitta and put in the toaster for a minute or two. Cheese and tomato stuffed pitta is also nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now