Talk

Advanced search

A girl called jack book

(19 Posts)
Cherrypi Fri 07-Mar-14 09:01:14

Morning. I received this for my birthday and think it's great. I'm off to buy some ingredients later. Anyone else got this? Which are the recipes you would recommend? Thanks.

spilttheteaagain Fri 07-Mar-14 14:28:12

Not got the book yet, but I have made her carrot, kidney bean and cumin burgers from the blog recipe and really enjoyed them. They freeze well uncooked. But she made 4 burgers out of the mix, I only made 3 as I clearly eat more than her!

NettoSuperstar Fri 07-Mar-14 16:12:51

I have it.o far we've tried the chilli, blackbean soup, and the courgette brie bake, we loved both.

littlemefi Fri 07-Mar-14 18:27:53

I've just bought this book ( before seeing it on special offer with the Book People- gah!), and I love the sound of those burgers, the falafels, and some of the soup recipes. Plan to do some batch cooking this weekend and stock the freezer up.

Toowittoowoo Fri 07-Mar-14 20:44:03

I'm making the chickpea and peach curry on Sunday - I shall report back!

Cherrypi Sat 08-Mar-14 09:39:37

The fish paste pasta didn't go down well last night. Too much chilli for toddler and husband didn't like the fish paste. I ate mine.

Toowittoowoo Sat 08-Mar-14 10:13:33

There is too much chilli all round in her book for my 3 yr old so I intend to omit it from all recipes I try and maybe sprinkle chilli flakes on mine and DH's later.

her Small Boy does seem more able to take his spice then my small girl!

JiminyCricket Sat 08-Mar-14 10:36:58

Lentil bolognaise popular here, carrot cumin and bean burgers less so, but I grilled instead of fried so it probably affected the flavours.

Toowittoowoo Mon 10-Mar-14 15:47:06

I cooked the chickpeas and peach curry last night. I was edible but I won't be making it again. I'll be trying the not meatballs next week. Anyone tried anything else?

NatashaBee Mon 10-Mar-14 15:54:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mrsbaconandbeans Mon 10-Mar-14 22:32:18

Spicy lentil soup was edible , chicken chasseur very bland won't be making either again sad

NatashaBee Mon 10-Mar-14 23:22:26

BuggarMeGently Tue 11-Mar-14 14:13:07

Soda bread done this morning- I did add a pinch of salt. Chickpea and tomato bread proving as I type. smile

AntoinetteCosway Tue 11-Mar-14 14:21:37

We really liked the Chicken Chasseur but found the portions a bit out-used 6 chicken thighs instead of 8 and got 6 portions out of it instead of 4, but this is a good problem to have so I hope it applies to other recipes in there too!

Made the banana bread yesterday and found it a bit dry for my taste, though DD loved it.

Cherrypi Wed 12-Mar-14 19:48:21

I agree about the chilli. Went down better than the fish paste. Definitely less wine.

NatashaBee Wed 12-Mar-14 19:49:33

pancakesfortea Wed 12-Mar-14 19:50:37

I love the kale pesto which she did in her guardian column. Not sure if its in the book.

bellasuewow Sun 16-Mar-14 18:19:43

Tried three so far and honestly all were awesome and will be keepers, soda bread, chickpea and tomato bread and white chocolate and peach tray bake. Looking forward to trying the rest andbhoepfull having a cheaper and healthier shop, me and dh eating a lot of ready meals etc and spending too much on food we are also chucking out to much so hoping to get some better habits.

NettoSuperstar Sun 16-Mar-14 22:32:29

Made the thumbprint cookies today, except without the print bit and the jam, as I hate jam!
I tweeted Jack a pic, as I did when I made her soup and she favourited it.
She's just lovely, and her recipes are great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now