Talk

Advanced search

Jacket potatoes = mash + potato skins

(6 Posts)
LukeTriton Tue 04-Mar-14 17:22:22

Okay, so following advice from MN, I am using jacket potatoes to provide the mash for 'deconstructed cottage pie' tonight and saving the skins to make cheesy potato skins tomorrow night.

So, what do I do tomorrow to make yummy cheesy potato skins? The skins on my jackets will not be crispy as I have also decided to experiment with jacket potatoes in the slow cooker (another MN discovery - would not have occurred to me otherwise) so I also need tips how to make them crispy tomorrow.

Thanks!

mrspremise Tue 04-Mar-14 18:04:09

Scoop out the potato to leave just the skins. A little bit of spudly goodness can be left in the shells if you like. Place on baking sheet. Sprinkle in some fried chopped bacon and either some chives, sliced spring onion tops or vvv finely chopped onion and fill with grated cheese. Put in hot oven for 10 or 15 mins until they are melty and gooey inside, crisp skinned outside. Eat without sharing. You csn also use those bacon-flavour dirty soya crispy things for salad instead of real bacon, which is easier and also, bizarrely, makes them suitable for vegetarians (though I can't imagine why any vegetarian with an ounce of self-respect would wish to eat anything bacon-flavour anyway confused )

LukeTriton Tue 04-Mar-14 18:09:06

Ok, thanks! Potato skins 'with spudly goodness' are now on the side. We've just finished eating the mash element and it was good. But not as good as I'm hoping those skins will be tomorrow. I hadn't thought to add bacon, but that sounds so nice...

iklboo Tue 04-Mar-14 18:09:45

Use an egg yolk when you mash the potato. Makes it richer & you'll get a crisper top as well.

iklboo Tue 04-Mar-14 18:10:27

Ah sorry - I see you've already eaten the mash smile

LukeTriton Tue 04-Mar-14 22:56:59

Thanks anyway - I'll have to try that another time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now