Now what do I do?!

Catsmamma Mon 03-Mar-14 17:03:48

throw it out.

i did celeriac mash, it was horrid.

AnnoyingOrange Mon 03-Mar-14 17:04:07

Mash it 50/50 with potato

Or chop it up and roast it

ReluctantCamper Mon 03-Mar-14 17:05:50

I love mash made with celeriac and sweet potato (and a shit load of butter and salt), but now you'll have to buy a sweet potato....

Molecule Mon 03-Mar-14 17:10:32

Makes a lovely soup.

mumbaisapphirebluespruce Mon 03-Mar-14 17:44:11

Make a purée. Chop it up into smallish cubes. Fry off in butter for 10 minutes. Then add some chicken stock and a little cream. Bubble away for another 10 minutes. Blend, season etc.

littleomar Mon 03-Mar-14 17:47:36

Salad. Shred and mix up with mustardy mayonnaise. Google celeriac remoulade for a proper recipe.

goshhhhhh Mon 03-Mar-14 17:49:21

Second remoulade ...also a kind of celeriac gratin - v yummym bit like potato dauphenoise (can't spell it)

Aseaandthreestars Mon 03-Mar-14 17:50:13

Grate it, bung it in the microwave for 5 minutes, then throw in butter, herbs, chili, sweet pepper, spring onion, cumin and cinnamon for a veg alternative to cous cous.

Or, cut into chips and place under some pork belly, roast for a couple of hours, then you have almost confit chip things.

Grate, with some carrot and apple and mix with mayonnaise.

I love celeriac :-)

Aseaandthreestars Mon 03-Mar-14 17:50:48

Ooh, slice it, then layer with flakes of fish and prawns, pour a tub of cream over it and bake.

ReluctantCamper Mon 03-Mar-14 18:33:02

Oh yes three stars, had forgotten about celeriac chips. yum.

BaconAndAvocado Mon 03-Mar-14 23:03:19

Yum! Lots of lovely ideas here, will get stuck in tomorrow.

thanks

JoinYourPlayfellows Mon 03-Mar-14 23:06:26

soup or remoulade

Both delicious

Celeriac is the best of all the root vegetables.

JamNan Tue 04-Mar-14 07:51:58

It is indigestible - put it on the compost heap.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 04-Mar-14 11:20:52

I made a celeriac and kohl rabi rosti (but with self-raising flour) the other day - it was surprisingly nice.

TheJumped Tue 04-Mar-14 11:39:47

This celeriac and Stilton bread is the tastiest thing known to man. And it takes about 5 mins to mix up and bung in the oven. It's super moist and cheesy, and lovely dunked in soup made with the other half of celeriac, some onion, potato / sweet potato and lashings of cream.

forgetdieting Tue 04-Mar-14 13:13:38

OP. I make celeriac mash and freeze it in portions. Catsmamma the trick with celeriac is to boil it up in full-fat milk. I used the semi-sk once and it split and went horrible.
I usually cube the celeriac, put in a pan of milk, bring to boil, then (be quick) turn it right down and simmer for 5 mins. Then I turn off the heat and put a lid on. It'll cook through itself - and stops you having to watch over it.
Tip out the milk and set aside. Blend the rest, adding enough milk to puree it.
Got loads of other recipes on my blog!

mrspremise Tue 04-Mar-14 17:51:18

celeriac gratin, goes really well if you sling some mushrooms in it too if your ds isn't as tiresome about mushrooms as mine

kazzawazzawoo Tue 04-Mar-14 20:47:35

Celeriac chips - cut into chip shape (after peeling), brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and roast for 30 mins or so in the oven at 200 degrees. Yum.

LyndaCartersBigPants Tue 04-Mar-14 21:04:45

Cats grin throw it out indeed.

I like celeriac chips, good when low carbing, and also I like purée ing it with some cream and sprinkling toasted pine nuts on top.

trixymalixy Tue 04-Mar-14 21:04:53

It's also nice if you sprinkle some chilli flakes and cumin on the celeriac chips before roasting.

Eastpoint Tue 04-Mar-14 21:06:31

Soup or remoulade. WARNING Last time we had celeriac soup it have me horrible wind.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 04-Mar-14 21:08:14

I had a wonderful soup recipe once... I think it was celeriac and leeks with milk, with smoked bacon in it. The flavours worked well together.

Snowdown Wed 05-Mar-14 07:19:57

I like to dice it and fry it in butter till soft.
Steam, mash and add dressing made with whole grain mustard, lemon, honey & olive oil.

truelymadlysleepy Wed 05-Mar-14 07:23:29

Celariac Rosti is lovely.
But windy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now