Talk

Advanced search

Perfectly good pancakes made with just s/r flour and water, and they cost 1p each!

(56 Posts)
Breadandwine Mon 03-Mar-14 00:12:18

No need for eggs and milk - I've been making these pancakes for several years now, and everyone enjoys them:

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/pancakes-using-just-flour-and-water.html

For some reviews of these, scroll down to the foot of the post.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Mon 03-Mar-14 00:15:11

thanks for this OP will try them on Tuesday smile

PeacesOfAte Mon 03-Mar-14 14:32:04

But eggs and milk are good things, why would you want to make them without unless you really had to?

ilovepowerhoop Mon 03-Mar-14 14:34:20

sounds a bit gross and tasteless but then I like scotch pancakes made with sugar

MirandaWest Mon 03-Mar-14 14:34:28

I just worked out how much my pancakes with egg and milk cost and it's about 5p a pancake. Not including the fillings of course smile

mrspremise Mon 03-Mar-14 18:08:21

but doesn't just flour and water also make, er, GLUE? hmm

nicename Mon 03-Mar-14 18:09:45

Or pasta... Magic stuff, flour and water...

Breadandwine Mon 03-Mar-14 18:21:46

PiecesofAte I'm vegan, so I was looking for a pancake recipe I could use.

Turns out also to be useful for anyone on a budget or has a food allergy.

But if you want to use milk and eggs, hey, that's up to you! smile

ilovepowerhoop Don't knock 'em till you've tried 'em! grin
That they taste just as good came as a complete surprise to me, I have to say.

Miranda I suppose to some extent it depends how big (or small) you make your pancakes - however, I've changed my post to read 'a batch of these pancakes will cost around 10p for 10 or more – about a penny each. As against up to around 90p for a traditional batch.'

LeslieKnope Mon 03-Mar-14 18:23:44

No thanks. I'll stick to the luxury version.

Pancakes are a treat in this house, not an endurance.

Breadandwine Mon 03-Mar-14 18:38:04

Leslie, did you set out to be deliberately rude? Because that's how you come across!

I hope you've tried it? If not, then you really shouldn't comment.

And if you're going to stick to the received wisdom 'luxury version', I wonder why you felt the need to come onto the thread.

I hope you enjoy Pancake day.

HectorVector Mon 03-Mar-14 18:40:35

You did this exact same post before OP. I remember because everyone came on saying that flour and water weren't nutritious.

AtSea1979 Mon 03-Mar-14 18:40:47

Oh I think I might have to try these now. Shame I already got eggs in but we can have a go at this at the wkend for breakfast.
Thanks for sharing. Shame others are so rude.

Orangeanddemons Mon 03-Mar-14 18:43:09

I thought the point of pancakes was that they contained milk and eggs to fill you up hmm

Not sure I would want a wallpaper paste pancake tbh We used to use flour and water instead of glue

Patchouli Mon 03-Mar-14 18:43:49

Thanks for sharing smile
They look worth a go when you've nothing in / out of eggs.

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 03-Mar-14 18:46:47

Don't these spectacularly miss the whole point of oancjaes using up the fats before Lent?

And nice plug of your blog there hmm

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 03-Mar-14 18:47:21

No idea what oancjaes are - pancakes!!

ShadowOfTheDay Mon 03-Mar-14 18:50:23

I have tried them (after reading this earlier and thinking, mmm maybe...)

and they were definitely NOT the same, they were a poor tasteless travesty of a pancake.... which I tried alongside my pancakes made with 4oz flour to 1 egg to 1/2 pint milk.... have to do 3 eggs worth of mixture to feed my lot....

we have had pancake Monday here.. I work on Tuesday and am not standing there cooking pancakes for 3/4 hour after a full shift....

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 03-Mar-14 18:52:02

Yup, I remember it too, Hector.
I raised an eyebrow then too at the horror of the 'recipe', and at the blatant driving of blog traffic.

Plus ca change, hey?

HectorVector Mon 03-Mar-14 18:52:51

Found it - I didn't try after reading this in September because it sounds grim. But each to their own. smile

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 03-Mar-14 18:54:11

We used to make 'dampers' at Brownies.
Flour and water paste, wrapped round a stick and held near a fire.
That tasted like shite too.

LeslieKnope Mon 03-Mar-14 18:55:33

Rude? Meh.

Merely pointing out that flour and water does not make pancakes. And I guarantee will not taste the same.

I like my food to have flavour. Which is one of the numerous reasons I'm not a vegan.

figgypuddings Mon 03-Mar-14 19:01:00

Some very harsh comments on here.

Thanks for that recipe, OP. I have always found vegan food to have good flavour.

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 03-Mar-14 19:11:28

But how can flour and water have any flavour? Unless it's salted to high heaven, I suppose, though that would negate the health benefits

Technical Mon 03-Mar-14 19:18:45

"But how can flour and water have any flavour?" Isn't that what the toppings are for, like sauce with pasta? (flour and water as PP said)

Families is right though, the point of pancakes tomorrow is to use up all the fat in the house before the fast starts. That said, presumably you do need much the same quantity of fat to fry them in as you would for normal pancakes and really, how many of us are actually starting a fast on Weds?

I love the way some Christian teachings/traditions stick and others don't. Queue outside the chip shop every Friday night, pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, Hot Cross buns all year round, fasting, giving up your riches and loving thy neighbour, not so much.

ShadowOfTheDay Mon 03-Mar-14 19:29:25

there aren't any health benefits though... eggs and milk are not "unhealthy" anywhere but on MN...

white self raising flour and water have virtually no nutrients, and no fibre...

eggs at least contain protein, vitamin D, lutein and zeaxanthin, two antioxidants that help protect against macular degeneration.

milk also contains protein and contains calcium - which serendipitously combined with eggs will ensure the vitamin D is absorbed by the body and will make for strong bones too....

So "proper" pancakes are much "better" for you... and that is the line I am taking.... though I maybe should stop at 3....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now