Talk

Advanced search

If I make up pancake batter on Monday and leave it in the fridge, it'll be fine for Tuesday evening, won't it?

(12 Posts)
SuburbanSpaceperson Sat 01-Mar-14 13:37:16

Tuesdays are a busy day for me so I won't have much time to spare until right before I need to make the pancakes, and I prefer the batter to sit for a while before cooking it. So, unless someone is pretty certain that I would poison my DC, it would be logistically much easier to make it on Monday morning.

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 01-Mar-14 13:39:38

I do that a lot - Friday night batter in the fridge for Saturday morning pancakes. We haven't died yet. smile

SuburbanSpaceperson Sat 01-Mar-14 13:46:03

Good, thanks. I might give the first one to H and see if he survives it. grin

WestmorlandSausage Sat 01-Mar-14 13:47:09

you are actually supposed to make in advance.

pancakesfortea Sat 01-Mar-14 13:48:48

Yes - it will be better. You're supposed to make it in advance. Can't remember why. Science, I guess.

pussycatdoll Sat 01-Mar-14 13:48:56

Is shrove Tuesday this Tuesday ?

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 01-Mar-14 13:50:26

I think it's about resting the batter so the gluten has a chance to relax and you don't get rubbery pancakes. But unless you beat the hell out of the batter I would have thought the difference won't be too big.

That's also science. grin

We are planning pancakes for breakfast lunch and dinner.

SuburbanSpaceperson Sat 01-Mar-14 13:54:00

I usually make the batter in a liquidiser, so it does need a chance to recover from that. I just wasn't sure if it might ferment if it's sitting for over 24hrs, although alcoholic pancakes might spice the evening up a little.

mrspremise Sat 01-Mar-14 16:47:15

I'm going to make the pancakes on Monday night! Interleaved with greaseproof in the fridge, ready for a quick reheating job, we're busy on Tuesday evenings too smile

SuburbanSpaceperson Sat 01-Mar-14 18:27:16

I've also just checked and found that I have an almost full bag of flour that went out of date in October. It looks fine, so it probably is fine, right? (I'm getting positively reckless now.)

WestmorlandSausage Sat 01-Mar-14 18:32:35

absolutely fine.

just check for flour weevils

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/a2007879-WTAF-my-flour-is-alive

SuburbanSpaceperson Sat 01-Mar-14 18:38:30

I shook it about a bit and there was definitely nothing living in it. So I'll give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now