Talk

Advanced search

Soup disaster! Whole pot of black pepper in my home made tomato soup - how can I save it?

(22 Posts)
artyanklet Sat 01-Mar-14 13:34:39

Thought my soup needed a little seasoning, attempted to sprinkle black pepper in saucepan and the lid fell off and about 70/80g of black pepper - including lid fell into the soup.
I have ladle out as much as I can but it is still way too peppery to eat - what can I do to try and neutralise it?

coffeeinbed Sat 01-Mar-14 13:36:23

Cream?

artyanklet Sat 01-Mar-14 13:39:31

Was trying to be healthy! sad I wonder whether half fat creme fraiche would work!

bellablot Sat 01-Mar-14 13:39:39

Add more tomato? Personally I would love this but I do love pepper.

momb Sat 01-Mar-14 13:39:59

I think you've lost it sad
The only option really is to add more of everything (maybe double up the ingredients) and freeze the excess for another day.

bellablot Sat 01-Mar-14 13:40:51

Don't know why I said more tomato, add more stock of whatever soup it is

coffeeinbed Sat 01-Mar-14 13:41:49

Hmm
Creme Fraiche will work as well.

But maybe just start again.
It will be peppery whatever you do.

artyanklet Sat 01-Mar-14 13:42:49

Momb - it was for the freezer. Think I would need triple of everything. I am thinking I have lost it too sad what a waste

figgypuddings Sat 01-Mar-14 13:46:10

Oh, poor you artyanklet. sad
That happened to my dad but we ate the soup rather than hurt his feelings. My eyes still water at the thought.
Could you pour it into ice cube bags, freeze and use a small cube to season other dishes rather than waste it?

artyanklet Sat 01-Mar-14 13:48:15

That's a thought figgy - although with at least 2 litres of soup I would have enough to last me till Christmas grin

CMP69 Sat 01-Mar-14 13:51:01

Could you convert it to pasta sauce? Freeze in 300g portions and chuck in a tin of toms every time you use it

figgypuddings Sat 01-Mar-14 13:51:46

We went for it with dad's pepper soup and added chillies. grin
Some of it would freeze well and a small amount would be great for a base for chilli or goulash.

mrsnec Sat 01-Mar-14 13:52:30

Would a potato work? It does for me if I overdo the chilli in a curry seems to absorb it, might help the texture of the soup too.

expatinscotland Sat 01-Mar-14 13:58:24

Sorry, but it's a lost cause. It will taste of overwhelming pepper no matter what you do to it.

artyanklet Sat 01-Mar-14 15:59:58

Hmm... I am cooking butternut squash, potato, onion, celery and green pepper - am hoping that if I add all of that to another 2 litres of stock and blitz it all together???????

Only time will tell

fingers crossed

artyanklet Sat 01-Mar-14 16:23:55

It still is quite peppery but now edible, it needs something as its now quite bland, have just added some mixed herbs and I am gently simmering it for 10 mins.

What can I add to give it that something? I have enough soup to last me a year wink

CiderwithBuda Sat 01-Mar-14 16:27:45

Some black pepper?

Sorry! grin

artyanklet Sat 01-Mar-14 16:31:21

Strangely enough I don't have any black pepper left! grin

coffeeinbed Sat 01-Mar-14 16:36:00

I know!
Do you have some red lentils?
They are bland and will thicken it.

BillyBanter Sat 01-Mar-14 16:44:40

I did similar.

I put it in the freezer and added half of it to the next (pepperless) batch and will do the same again next time.

Breakage Sat 01-Mar-14 16:55:23

I was wondering about a potato. I know it's remedy for too much salt and if it works for chilli...

You cook it in the soup to absorb the salt and then discard it.

artyanklet Sat 01-Mar-14 17:16:11

I have decided to chuck it - I thought I had reduced the pepper so it was edible but I haven't. What a waste! Very disappointed.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now