Talk

Advanced search

Ham/ gammon....

(7 Posts)
putyourhatonsweetie Sat 01-Mar-14 03:27:04

....this may be a daft question but as a reformed vegetarian I have little confidence when cooking meat and seem to have missed the basics!

Anyway have what looks like a nice recipe for gammon in marmalade,that requires boiling first before roasting. As I couldn't get gammon at the butchers I have just bought a big piece of ham. Can I still boil it according to the recipe or should I find a new one for ham?

Thanks cooks smile

ilovepowerhoop Sat 01-Mar-14 19:19:55

from online:
Gammon is the name given to the meat from the hind legs of a pig that has been cured in the same way as bacon. The main difference between gammon and ham is that gammon will be sold raw and needs to be cooked; ham is sold cooked or dry-cured and ready for eating. Once gammon is cooked it can be called a ham and may be sold as a gammon ham.

(Maybe that means you dont have to boil the ham first and can just go straight to roasting it?)

ilovepowerhoop Sat 01-Mar-14 19:25:19

does the ham look cooked or raw? (different places say different things online as to the difference between ham/gammon). The boiling/soaking seems to be a way of reducing the saltiness of the ham/gammon

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/how_to_cook_a_ham_22897

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 01-Mar-14 19:34:22

Yes gammon is usually the raw meat and once it's cooked it's ham. Unless you're in the pub ordering gammon and chips for lunch where it's obviously cooked. grin

You hardly need to roast it at all. Boil it for half an hour or so to get rid of the salt. Tip the water away, refresh it and add cloves, onions, bay leaves or whatever you choose. Boil it again and it will be cooked. You can finish it off in the oven for ten minutes if you want it glazed. Peel off the skin, score the fat, rub in some wholegrain mustard and drizzle on some honey and bung it in the oven nice and hot. Delicious!

putyourhatonsweetie Sat 01-Mar-14 21:26:46

Think it is cooked.... The more I read the more confused I get.... Aargh.

putyourhatonsweetie Sat 01-Mar-14 21:29:06

...still at least the chocolate cake is in the oven (in Australia hence the funny timing of Sunday lunch)

putyourhatonsweetie Sat 01-Mar-14 21:34:18

Found recipe on taste.com.au ...should be fine. Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now