Talk

Advanced search

Best chicken and mango stew thing recipe please!

(16 Posts)
TelephoneTree Thu 27-Feb-14 10:24:14

…and preferably involving lime!

Not so keen on typical english curry flavours but will try anything!

mrspremise Thu 27-Feb-14 19:47:23

Make chicken stew, put mango in bin. Add lime to gin and tonic grin

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 27-Feb-14 19:50:16

What mrs said but add gin to mangoes to marinate and add wine to empty glass.

TelephoneTree Thu 27-Feb-14 19:55:23

LOL!! grin

Maybe just bin the whole stew idea stew and drink gin while feeding mangoes to the kids.

ProfessionalProcrastinator Thu 27-Feb-14 19:56:41

Heat oil, throw in some mustard seeds until they pop, add curry leaves, red chilli, diced onions. When onions are soft, add diced chicken breast and stir fry until cooked. Add mango chutney and a little water if needed. Simmer for 5 mins then add 3 tablespoons of creme fraiche. It's really tasty!

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 27-Feb-14 19:57:04

There you go, telephone. Didn't take much to bring you round. gringrin

ProfessionalProcrastinator Thu 27-Feb-14 19:57:55

X post didn't realise you meant a real mango! Well, have that for dessert!

TippyHaha Mon 03-Mar-14 23:01:42

Sorry if this is too late but I'm just catching up with MN after a busy few weeks. This is one of my favourite recipes - although I confess to leaving the mango out because I just don't fancy it in savoury food! Doesn't it go mushy?

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/jun/22/duck-curry-recipe-lemon-rice

Recipe is for duck but I've used chicken before and also king prawns - both worked well.

TelephoneTree Tue 04-Mar-14 10:57:41

Tippy - that looks gorgeous - where do you get sambal from??
No the mango is lovely if you stir it through at the end or even just put it on top when serving. I know not everyone likes fruit in main courses though!

TippyHaha Tue 04-Mar-14 14:19:40

I used to be able to get Sambal from Waitrose but my local one seems to have stopped stocking it. Otherwise most Asian/Chinese/Indian supermarkets should stock it.

Comes in a jar like this

And if you get frozen lime leaves too, they'll give you the lime flavour you want and you can keep the whole fruit for your gin!

Hope you try it as it really is gorgeous. I've made it lots of times now and for lots of different people and it's always gone down a storm. Nowhere near as much faff as it may at first seem - especially with a food processor!

TelephoneTree Tue 04-Mar-14 21:56:16

Is it very spicy or would I need to reduce it for the kids?

sarahandduck Tue 04-Mar-14 22:01:35

If it's for children, this one is fab

www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/style/food/article66426.ece

TippyHaha Tue 04-Mar-14 22:22:35

It's more about the balance between sweet, sour, salty, spicy so it's not 'blow your head off' spicy but then that's a bit subjective really.

You could probably leave out the sambal from the paste (solves the issue of tracking it down!) and maybe reduce the number of chillies in the paste too without too much detriment to the overall taste. You could also add more coconut milk too just before serving if you thought it was too spicy.

Mind you, Sarah's recipe above looks like it fits your bill pretty well too...

TelephoneTree Tue 04-Mar-14 22:31:18

It does look lovely though i can't access it without paying?

TippyHaha Tue 04-Mar-14 22:38:17

C&P'd for you:

Chicken and mango casserole - Tana Ramsay

Serves: 6
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours (not all hands-on, some is simmering time)

2kg chicken thighs – skinless and boneless
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 tsp lemon zest, grated
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cinnamon
250ml chicken stock
250ml single cream
2 tsp flour
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp water
4 cups plain rice

1 Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
2 Brown the chicken pieces in a large frying pan with the oil and butter, then transfer to a casserole dish. Fry the onion until soft, then put it in with the chicken pieces.
3 Add the mango pieces to the frying pan, gently fry them over a lower heat, turning them carefully. This takes approximately 4 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest, coriander, cinnamon and chicken stock. Bring this mix to the boil, then pour all into the casserole dish. Cover this dish and bake for 1½ hours. Remove from the oven.
4 Take out the chicken pieces and keep warm. Turn up the heat on the hob and bring the liquid to boil, let it reduce down and thicken, then turn down the heat a little and stir through the cream. Put the rice on and cook as directed. Mix together the flour, lemon juice and water and beat this into the sauce. Let it all simmer together for a further 15 minutes, then return the chicken pieces, mix through, ensure the chicken is hot throughout and serve over a bed of rice.

TelephoneTree Wed 05-Mar-14 11:12:42

Fantastic, thank you!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now