Talk

Advanced search

Why should I not make tea in a cafetiere?

(10 Posts)
catsofa Tue 25-Feb-14 21:17:35

Loose leaf tea tastes much better than teabag tea, but it's much more hassle heating the pot, straining the leaves out etc.

Before I try it and make a mess, can anyone think of any reason I shouldn't put loose leaf tea in a cafetiere and brew it like coffee?

Also what is the nicest loose leaf tea (traditional black tea for me please, not Earl Grey or whatever).

PsychicPaper Tue 25-Feb-14 21:18:11

I do, works for me. smile

catsofa Tue 25-Feb-14 21:48:44

Does it work? Cor, why doesn't everyone do it then? I'm going to make a pot right after I finish this beer.

thereistheball Wed 26-Feb-14 13:33:05

Bodum do a teapot version of their cafetiere which works in much the same way: here it is. I imagine a cafetiere would be fine as long as it didn't have a residual taste of coffee.

differenttoyou Thu 27-Feb-14 15:50:48

Bodum also have a tea pot with a filter. I've had one for years.

www.bodum.com/gb/en-us/shop/detail/1875-01/

SpookedMackerel Thu 27-Feb-14 15:58:14

Ooh, genius idea!

Might be better to have a dedicated "teatiere" though, to stop any residual taste of coffee spoiling your tea.

HuevosRancheros Thu 27-Feb-14 17:13:15

I have one of these tea infusers so I can have one cup of loose leaf tea, rather than a potful.
My current favourite is a blend of Assam and Lapsang Souchong (about a spoonful of Assam to a pinch of LS)
Yum smile

HuevosRancheros Thu 27-Feb-14 17:15:06

Oh, and I buy Waitrose Fairtrade loose leaf tea

catsofa Fri 28-Feb-14 19:25:38

OMG I completely forgot I have one of these metal teabags somewhere, that would be even easier. I wonder where on earth it is...

catsofa Fri 28-Feb-14 19:27:46

BTW my cafetiere is sparkly clean cos I unscrew the filter bit slightly just to loosen it and then soak it in sterilising fluid for half an hour every now and then. No residue at all, none even stuck in the spring and mesh bits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now