Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So what do you do with your home made chicken stock..?

(11 Posts)
Scarletohello Tue 25-Feb-14 15:43:26

I'm just simmering leftover chicken carcass with onion and bay leaves. I just use it for risotto or maybe a stew but would love to know some new and interesting ideas as to how to use it to make delicious meals. Any suggestions..?

Indith Tue 25-Feb-14 15:44:08

Soup usually. Very boring but the dcs all love chicken pasta soup.

21mealspluscake Tue 25-Feb-14 15:52:08

Noodle soup always goes down well. In a big pan, wilt some spinach, drain, Warm a little bit of oil and stir fry finely chopped ginger, garlic and chilli then add the stock in the same pan. Toss in some noodles when it comes to a simmer and cook them till soft. Use a fork to divide the noodles between bowls to make a little nest then break an egg into each one. Ladle over some of the boiling stock to just set the egg. Add the spinach, fresh coriander, finely sliced spring onions, beansprouts and any shreds of chicken or slices of hot grilled pork then ladle over the rest of the hot stock. Lots of lovely flavours and textures, not so many calories!

Scarletohello Tue 25-Feb-14 15:52:57

That noodle soup sounds yum, thanks!

Snowdown Tue 25-Feb-14 17:46:22

Lancashire hotpot

PedantMarina Tue 25-Feb-14 17:50:23

DP uses it to make risotto, usually the night after the chicken roast that supplied the bones.

when we're being good (and our growing boy isn't too ravenous) we even have some chicken meat to put in the risotto, ideally a whole breast and the pickings. but even without meat, just cut-up vege, its well gorgeous.

PedantMarina Tue 25-Feb-14 17:51:16

"it's", of course. damned phone.

mrspremise Tue 25-Feb-14 18:17:23

I often poach chicken breasts in homemade stock with some sliced garlic, ginger and chilli added to the liquid. I serve the chicken with rice and greens and save the broth to make noodle soup another day...

HappyGirlNow Tue 25-Feb-14 20:35:48

Just had chicken and rice soup made with real stock.. Simple but delicious.

thenumberseven Wed 26-Feb-14 10:41:30

All of the suggestions above plus cream of chicken soup.

Melt a little butter in saucepan, add some flour and cook while stirring. Add slowly while whisking the strained chicken stock. Simmer, stirring until soup thickens. Season with salt & white pepper and a little nutmeg if liked.Add cream and shredded chicken meat.

Scarletohello Fri 28-Feb-14 13:53:26

Thanks for all the suggestions. I made Lancashire hot pot as I had some lamb. Never made it before but it was delicious! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now