Talk

Advanced search

Wat's your favourite thing to cook in your pressure cooker?

(13 Posts)
TelephoneTree Sun 23-Feb-14 21:09:33

And the recipe would be an added bonus if you have time!

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 23-Feb-14 21:42:22

Chicken stock funnily enough. Takes very little time, tastes great and doesn't make the house smell like a soup kitchen for hours. Roasted chicken carcass or wings, onion, carrot, celery, herbs, peppercorns, star anise, salt and enough water to cover. About 20 minutes at pressure.

changedtoday Sun 23-Feb-14 21:43:53

I use it to save time on basics:
Dried pulses, unsoaked, - times vary by variety, 12 to 20 mins
Potatoes: 6mins quartered up to 10 for whole new

Full recipes i've only done stews like goulash, dhal, sorry no recipes to hand, but most can be transferred unchanged just simmer time down to a third to half?

TelephoneTree Sun 23-Feb-14 22:00:11

Do you have to use less liquid than in conventional recipes??
Brilliant about the stock! How quick is that??

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 24-Feb-14 07:11:35

You need a minimum amount of liquid in the pot or things can 'catch' as you're getting it to pressure. I've found, for example, with beef stews that it's best not to add flour until the end.

Scuttlebug Mon 24-Feb-14 08:55:28

Irish stew. Brown cubed stewing steak, then chuck in onions, potatoes, carrots, swede, parsnips etc, anything a bit manky in the fridge, it'll work, had 3/4 pint of water. Give a good stir so meat isn't just at the bottom. Bring to pressure for about 25 minutes.

Then release pressure, add seasoning, oxo cube with 1/2 pint boiling water, cornflour, job done.
I make dumplings so these are then put on top of stew covered with a saucepan lid for 20 mins (they need to simmer covered).
It is brilliant and even better the next day!

LordPalmerston Mon 24-Feb-14 08:55:57

"What "

Scuttlebug Mon 24-Feb-14 08:56:24

Watching this thread with interest as I don't know anyone other than my mother who has a PC!

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 24-Feb-14 09:03:40

I avoided the things for years because DM's once exploded soup quite spectacularly onto the kitchen ceiling! Then read an inspiring article by Heston Blumenthal, saw that the technology had moved on and got a lot safer, and got one.

HerrenaHarridan Mon 24-Feb-14 09:05:29

I love my pressure cooker, I actually dont have a proper pan set just a wee milk pan, a small pressure cooker, a large pressure cooker, jelly pan and a huuuuge pot

My absolute favourite thing to cook in the pressure cooker is mash and I do it like this

Add chopped up (unpeeled) potatoes and about a cup of water, big dod of butter and as many peeled cloves of garlic as your family will appreciate. Salt and pepper if you like.

Cook for about 10 mins and check water level occasionally. You will soon learn to hear if the water needs topped up.

When cooked do NOT drain just mash it into the garlicky buttery goop and add chives

Utter heaven smile

nickymanchester Mon 24-Feb-14 10:36:39

This one's a bit of work but has an incredible taste.

Caramelised Carrot Soup

500g carrots, peeled and cut into 2in pieces
140g butter
7.5g sea salt
2.5g bicarbonate of soda
635g carrot juice (from about 1kg of peeled carrots) or from the supermarket
3g tarragon, minced - for a garnish

This works just as well with good carrot juice from the supermarket as when you juice it yourself if you don't own a juicer.

Melt 80g of the butter in a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the carrots, salt, and bicarb and stir to evenly coat all the carrots in the butter. If you don't cover all the carrots it will result in them burning in the pressure cooker.

Lock the lid in place and turn to high. When the pressure cooker has come to full pressure, turn the heat to low and pressure cook for 20 minutes. It may help to just give the cooker a quick shake every 5 mins or so.

While the carrots are cooking, juice the remaining carrots to obtain 635g of juice. Heat the juice to barely a simmer and scrape off any bright orange foam and discard.

When the carrots have finished pressure cooking, run the pressure cooker under cold water to depressurise quickly.

Pour the contents of the pressure cooker into a blender and blend on high until it’s a smooth puree. Add the hot carrot juice and blend on high until well combined.

Put the mixture back onto the stove in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the remaining 60g of butter in small pieces and stir until melted and fully incorporated. Add extra water if it is too thick.

Add salt to taste, pour into serving dishes, and garnish with tarragon.

TelephoneTree Mon 24-Feb-14 13:10:18

Ha ha yes I've just seen my typo in the title. 'What' indeed!

Thank you everyone so far. This is really helpful. Love the idea that I might be able to whip up mash. Why corn flour etc at the end?

nickymanchester Mon 24-Feb-14 19:51:24

Cornflour will thicken a sauce if it is too runny.

If you ever buy gravy granules you'll find that there's quite a lot of cornflour in those to thicken up your gravy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now