Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me come up with a recipe for butterbeer for ds' Harry Potter birthday party?

(14 Posts)
shoppingbagsundereyes Sun 23-Feb-14 14:48:29

Ideally I'd like it to be something that 10 8yr old boys can make themselves with supervision.
I reckon a bottle of cream soda and maybe float some ice cream in it. But not sure how to get the butter scotchy taste?

EBearhug Sun 23-Feb-14 14:51:22

Just google. There are a number of recipes online. This article reviews 3 of them.

Cream soda, butterscotch syrup, squirty cream.

shoppingbagsundereyes Sun 23-Feb-14 21:50:41

Ebearhug, I had googled, was hoping for a recipe someone had tried. That website uses butter extract which i think is an American thing, I've never seen it here.
Butterscotch syrup good idea Remus - kind of like the stuff they use in Costa?

Aethelfleda Sun 23-Feb-14 21:58:56

we went to the film studio tour last holiday and the "butterbeer" they sell there was weird!

I'd say get some Lyle's golden syrup, icecream caramel squirty sauce, or Monin brand caramel coffee syrup (think they sell it in naice supermarkets), and then whisk it with the squirty cream and vanilla icecream into the cream soda in a big bowl. Apparently the "secret ingredient" in the real butterbeer is pumpkin juice but I have no idea where you'd get that at this time of year!!

pancakesfortea Sun 23-Feb-14 22:07:10

I did cream soda with ice cream.

GoldenBeagle Sun 23-Feb-14 22:10:03

Cream Soda with a slosh of coke in it to make it brown, whipped up cream with butterscotch syrup - should make a concoction as equally revolting as the stuff on sale at the HP Studios!

Or cream soda with coke in it and melted butterscotch ice cream.

shoppingbagsundereyes Mon 24-Feb-14 17:48:51

Thanks all, I have a real sweet tooth and loved the butter beer at the studio tour so I may have to try some recipes first smile

VivaLeBeaver Mon 24-Feb-14 17:50:39

I've done it before.

Mainly cream soda, bit of coke, bit of butterscotch sauce, some vanilla icecream. No idea of quantities sorry as I just kep adding bits of one and then another. Nice though.

CalamityKate Mon 24-Feb-14 17:52:26

In my head it looks and tastes rather like thin butterscotch angel delight.

shoppingbagsundereyes Mon 24-Feb-14 17:58:07

I might just get a range of the ingredients everyone has suggested and let them muck about to make their own recipes. Might be fun to do it by trial and error.

That's a good idea - if you can stand the potential for mess! smile

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 24-Feb-14 20:17:56

Just put something sickly and revolting in a cup and put some froth on top. That's what Warner bros do.

It's so horrible there are half full cups of it everywhere. We got one cup between five of us to try.... And still left half!

Bunbaker Mon 24-Feb-14 20:20:16

Don't bother. It tastes absolutely vile. It is sickly sweet and you may end up with some rather ill children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now