Talk

Advanced search

Help planning a menu

(8 Posts)
bettybigballs Sat 22-Feb-14 23:19:24

I'm having people over for dinner next weekend for a special celebration and I need some help planning the menu. I want to challenge myself and do something I haven't done before so thinking about ottelenghi's pork shoulder with citrus, maple and pomegranate sauce. I'm not sure what to serve with it though.

Otherwise, does anyone have any other main course ideas. I want it be showstopping!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 24-Feb-14 12:47:45

That does sound lovely. Just marking my place smile

pregnantpause Mon 24-Feb-14 20:56:28

Mmm the pork sounds a winner. A cous cous or bulgar salad? A tabbouleh maybe? There's a lovely baked squash tahini recipe in Jerusalem that I think would be lovely as a side.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 25-Feb-14 13:56:08

Sounds delicious. Might be trying that one myself, unless of course I'm invited on Saturday...smile

Sweetpea33 Tue 25-Feb-14 14:04:56

As it seems from the recipe that there would be a fair amount of sauce / gravy I would do either a rice or couscous type of side dish and some greens, maybe purple sprouting and chard. Sounds a delicious recipe so would appreciate feedback on the outcome. smile

nickymanchester Tue 25-Feb-14 14:07:52

If you're still looking for something to serve it with then perhaps have a browse of the side dishes and vegetables here:-

smittenkitchen.com/recipes/#Sides

smittenkitchen.com/recipes/#Vegetable

There are full recipes along with lots of photos showing how to do each recipe. I really love the Smitten Kitchen site.

If you're looking for something else spectacular then there's a book called The French Laundry Cookbook that really is spectacular. I was a bit nervous at first but then I read this blog about a woman who cooked every recipe in the book along with lots of photos.

This is her list of her favourites from the book along with all the individual posts about each recipe:-

carolcookskeller.blogspot.co.uk/2008/10/french-laundry-at-home-lists-and-menu.html

TelephoneTree Wed 26-Feb-14 22:01:33

Tenderstem broccoli (steamed)
Baked wedges
+ one snazzy side dish accompaniment from the ottolenghi book!

Snowdown Wed 26-Feb-14 23:36:15

I'd be playing down the other flavours - keeping it simple I'd do mash and buttered spring greens or green beans. Too many highly flavoured dishes on a plate will struggle to work together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now