Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is your best marinade recipe?

(13 Posts)
Mrswellyboot Fri 21-Feb-14 12:58:44

I have ran out of the BBQ rub I used most weeks and it is no longer in stock.

I can use Cajun spice (mainly for kebabs or pork chops)

I would love an easy marinade idea (preferably BBQ but open to new ideas) no white or cheesy sauces

I have a tin of jerk seasoning. Any ideas for using that?

Thank You so much

Mrswellyboot Fri 21-Feb-14 13:09:19

I have found a similar dry marinade online at asda smile

BuzzLightbulb Fri 21-Feb-14 15:07:21

I've got a Chinese one which I use as a marinade and then add in to the cooking and thicken as the sauce.

Small Bottle of soy sauce
2 tbl spoons red wine vinegar
1 tbl spoon Rice wine vinegar
Table spoon grated fresh ginger
Chopped red chilli

You may have to juggle those to your taste, I may have used more red wine vinegar, but not more rice wine vinegar, that's just to give it a kick. If it tastes good its ready to go.

I marinated chopped chicken breasts over night, drained the chicken, stir fried it with green and red peppers and a little pak choi.

Added a tablespoon of sugar to the marinade, poured it onto the stir fry heated through and used a little corn flour for that genuine take away thickness.

It looked genuinely good, chicken took on a deep brown colour and the peppers stood out against the shiny dark sauce.

Tasted fab too!!

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 21-Feb-14 15:10:12

olive oil
soy sauce
chilli powder
lemon or lime juice
ginger
honey

Don't know the quantities - I just chuck it all in.

BeesPantry Fri 21-Feb-14 15:28:19

I quite like making this version of a Jamaican Jerk Marinade, simply because you can make a large quantity and then put the remainder in a jar and it will stay fresh for about 1month.

1 medium onion, chopped
6 spring onions, chopped
1 chilli (red or green - whatever you prefer), chopped
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cider or white vinegar
Small bunch of fresh thyme leaves (about 5 twigs)
2 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp salt (sea salt is preferable)
1 tsp Jamaican Pimento (Allspice), ground
1 tsp black pepper, ground
Nutmeg - to flavour (normally between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp)
Cinnamon - to flavour (normally between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp)

If you want to give it some kick then add in few slashes of Hot Sauce. All you need to do is put all the ingredients into a good blender and whiz until everything is combined/well chopped.

Then pour it over the Chicken (this works well with white meats and keeps them juicy).

Bee
www.beespantry.com

Mrswellyboot Fri 21-Feb-14 16:47:48

These are great, thanks

nickymanchester Fri 21-Feb-14 17:00:54

A friend of mine is American and she gave me some recipes for rubs to go on BBQs and also marinades.

Apologies that the recipes are in American units, but that's the way she gave them to me.

I can confirm that these work really well:-

Rub Recipe

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup sea salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Just mix everything together and there you go

Marinade recipe

2 tablespoons mild chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon table salt
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup HP sauce
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce
1 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 medium cloves of garlic, crushed or minced

Optional. If you are cooking indoors, or if your meat does not have a lot of smoke flavor, or if you just want more smoke flavor, you can add 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke.

Method
1) In a small bowl, mix the chilli powder, pepper, and salt. In a large bowl, mix the ketchup, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, lemon juice, HP sauce, molasses, honey, Tabasco sauce, and brown sugar. Mix them, but you don't have to mix thoroughly.

2) Over medium heat, warm the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Crush the garlic, add it, and cook for another minute. Add the dry spices and stir for about 2 minutes to extract their oil-soluble flavors. Add the wet ingredients. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes with the lid off to thicken it a bit.

3) Taste and adjust. Add more of anything that you want a little bit at a time. It may taste a bit vinegary at first, but that will be less obvious when you use it on meat. Strain it if you don't want the chunks of onion and garlic. You can store it into clean bottles in the refrigerator for a month or two.

breatheslowly Fri 21-Feb-14 18:33:04

Is yellow mustard "American Mustard" or something else?

nickymanchester Fri 21-Feb-14 21:03:12

Yes, it's American style mustard

MissRee Fri 21-Feb-14 21:09:24

Chicken zorba!

1tsp cumin
1tsp ground coriander
1tsp turmeric
Juice of 2 limes
Chopped fresh mint

Chop your chicken breasts (I usually use 3-4 breasts for that amount of marinade) into cubes and into marinade for a few hours/overnight. Shove them onto skewers with some onion and peppers and cook on the BBQ.

Can also be cooked under the grill!

Mrswellyboot Fri 21-Feb-14 23:38:19

Thank You. Look forward to trying these. I found an easy sticky chicken recipe (left it upstairs) so I will post it tomorrow.

Iheartcrunchiebars Sat 22-Feb-14 07:45:41

I do 1tsp dark brown sugar, 1tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp sea salt, and a tsp of liquid smoke (from amazon) it's awesome.

DaleyBump Sun 23-Feb-14 16:12:46

Marking place to come back and try these!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now