Talk

Advanced search

What to make to take round for a family going through hard time?

(26 Posts)
llynnnn Thu 20-Feb-14 21:51:36

I'm looking for a recipe for a (relatively simple) family meal that would I could cook here then take round for a family to either heat up the following day or freeze? They are having a vert tough time at the moment and I really want to help practically. Thinking having a meal ready prepared for them may help? One less thing to think about that day maybe?
Doe anyone have any suggestions? The best I have at the moment is a sausage pasta bake, but would this be ok warmed 24 hours later or frozen?
All thoughts appreciated smile

magimedi Thu 20-Feb-14 22:04:46

Lasagne, pasta bake etc are great meals & if you wanted to add a 'treat' to it, make some garlic bread, warp it in foil & it can be frozen or just heated up.

A casserole is also good, with lots of veg in it. Or a really nice chilli & again add the garlic bread.

If you can afford it, take a few cold beers to go with the meal -what a feast that would be.

You are a lovely friend to that family. flowers

llynnnn Thu 20-Feb-14 22:07:19

Thanks magimedi, casserole or chilli may be a better idea, not sure how pasta would freeze/defrost?

curiousgeorgie Thu 20-Feb-14 22:10:31

I always take bolognese, mixed up with pasta spirals, or beef stew.

They freeze well.

DoItTooJulia Thu 20-Feb-14 22:12:40

Sausage and bean stew, curry, hearty soups, cottage pie all freeze well.

llynnnn Thu 20-Feb-14 22:12:48

With the pasta spirals already cooked and mixed in?

Blondie1984 Thu 20-Feb-14 22:13:19

I would take stew - it is always better the second day

scurryfunge Thu 20-Feb-14 22:13:41

Cuban chicken pie ( whole chicken and feeds lots of people). Very economical and tastes lovely.

comicsansisevil Thu 20-Feb-14 22:15:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

llynnnn Thu 20-Feb-14 22:15:50

Thank you all so much. Sausage and bean stew sounds good, hadn't thought of cottage pie (no idea why I love it!) smile

SqueakdeSqueak Thu 20-Feb-14 22:16:35

Chicken wings are cheap, throw some marinade on them and serve with salad and potato wedges lovely quick and cheap meals, also if you trim the tips off the wings you can save them in the freezer to use in stocks

curiousgeorgie Thu 20-Feb-14 22:17:13

Yes, mixed in with the sauce, it defrosts and tastes lovely smile

Quinteszilla Thu 20-Feb-14 22:18:38

I have a fab pork and root vegetable stew if you are interested.
You will need 1kg pork (with fat cut off) but you can bung in enough veg to make it last two days.

RueDeWakening Thu 20-Feb-14 22:22:22

Shepherd's Pie works well reheated or frozen and keeps for a few days in the fridge.

Spag Bol.

Lasagne.

Curry, various sorts.

Chilli.

Beef Bourguignon.

Chicken & Vegetable Pie.

Sausage Casserole.

And well done, I hope the family are doing better soon.

nilbyname Thu 20-Feb-14 22:25:47

Meatballs and sauce, rice or pasta
Beef stew, with mash or crusty bread
Thai chicken Penang, with rice
Tarragon chicken stew, with lovely mash or far house bread
Curry

I second the idea of some wine/beer/pudding.

When my dad died I came home to a casserole of food once a week from one friend, for about 3months. Just dropped off often on the step and with instructions. It was always noted that it was "made fresh" so I used to freeze some of it.

There was no greater support than that quiet unobtrusive gift. What a great friend I have and you are.

llynnnn Thu 20-Feb-14 22:31:41

Brilliant ideas, I plan to support this family as long as they need it (if they want) so will keep referring back here!
Nilbyname, so sorry for your loss. Nice to hear that this offer of 'help' is actually helpful and wanted at a difficult time, would hate for it to be thought of as intruding etc

homeworkmakesmemad Thu 20-Feb-14 22:46:55

Can I just suggest that if possible you take it to them in a throwaway dish. We often make meals for new parents in our church and if possible I deliver them in something they can chuck away afterwards. For things like chilli or bolognese the pour and store bags are good, as are the wee foil tubs you can buy in the supermarket (like the ones you get from the chinese/indian) or for a pasta bake/cottage pie type thing I buy the foil roasting tins and deliver in those. If possible also pop in some disposable plates, cutlery and napkins - that way they can eat and not have to worry about any washing up or having to return your dishes to you.

You are doing a wonderful thing.

llynnnn Thu 20-Feb-14 22:58:48

Thank you homework, good idea...would make it easier for them (and I wouldn't be without my best dish wink)

MoreLifeInATrampsVest Fri 21-Feb-14 00:46:45

Quint I'd love the recipe please if you've got a minute.

AdoraBell Fri 21-Feb-14 03:18:35

I can't think of any more recipe suggestions but if it wouldn't stretch you too far or be taken the wrong way, how about a few packs of frozen veg? frozen berries and a large pot of natural/Greek yoghurt would make nice pudding (pack of ready made meringues too or a bar of chocolate) or breakfast, for a couple of days. I know it's not a ready made meal, just an extra option.

Could you make some flapjacks and or cake for a snack?

GretaWolfcastle Fri 21-Feb-14 03:36:03

Are they veggie?

Quinteszilla Fri 21-Feb-14 09:07:29

Here goes!

Lapskaus Pronounced like an amalgamation of Lap and Scouser - Lapscous

1 kg cubed pork (and fat cut off - this is important, mutton fat melts and taints the taste)
1 ts salt - drizzle on the meet

Cook in water for 1 hour. The water should just cover the pork

Add:
1 cubed onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
1ts allspice
1ts thyme
1ts black pepper
1ts ground coriander

Just to clarify, tea spoons, not table spoons.

Add veg:

1/2 leek (the second half of the leek to be added when it is 30 minutes left of cooking time)
Cubed Potatoes, carrot and swede (kohlrabi). Equal amounts of carrot and swede, twice the amount of potatoes.

I usually use 1 swede, 5-6 carrots, and between 1/2 to 1kg potatoes. Maris piper, or any white potato is good. Red potatoes not so good.

You can oven bake it, but might as well leave it in the pot on the stow on low heat and stir regularly. It needs another 1 hour after you start adding veg, until all is tender. The longer you leave it, the mushier (and better in my opinion!! I usually leave mine on for 2 hours!)

This is so yummy. (If you search other recipes for this dish, you may find that some recipes demand beef. I prefer the mellow pork, but you can use beef. If you use beef, I advice against letting it go mushy, but just cook until the veg is tender, and up the water.)

Hoopalong Fri 21-Feb-14 09:20:22

Lovely posting hope the family will be okay soon. Not anything i can suggest but felt i had to add IME be sure they like the type of dish you cook - a bit difficult if you try not to trouble them and just leave something or drop off something off very quickly which is great, but I found out a bit late that one family hate chicken with a passion.

MoreLifeInATrampsVest Fri 21-Feb-14 23:21:26

Thank you Quint, it sounds fab. That's Sunday dinner sorted this week

GretaWolfcastle Fri 21-Feb-14 23:24:51

that pork thing is meat in water?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now