Talk

Advanced search

How do I find out which foods are 'related'?

(8 Posts)
gretagrape Thu 20-Feb-14 14:10:18

Hi - will post in Allergies as well, but maybe someone on here will also know:
My son has some food allergies and I mentioned to our dermatologist yesterday that we are avoiding kiwi fruit because that makes his eczema worse - she replied that we might also want to avoid banana and avocado as well because they are from the same family.

Does anyone know of a good website or book that I could use to find out which foods are related to one another? I tried to look at food groups but that just gives results regarding dairy/veg/grains etc, so isn't really right.

Thanks
x

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Feb-14 14:13:20

There's a bit of info here smile

gretagrape Thu 20-Feb-14 14:15:01

Thanks!

BuzzLightbulb Fri 21-Feb-14 14:51:08

Hi, I had eczema into my 20s and I bought a small book called the eczema diet, I don't know if its still available.

Btw I gave up milk products and it did seem to help, there are a few fruits which are obvious allergens, basically anything red - cherries, strawberries, red grapes. It's the salycilates or however you spell that.

But while we're on eczema, I started using the aveeno skin relief lotion and it made more difference than any diet change. The only thing I've found which really calms the skin. I used steroid creams for far too long so my skin is quite thin and this really worked for me.

gretagrape Sat 22-Feb-14 09:57:13

Thanks - he doesn't have dairy already because he is allergic, and also to peanut and egg. I'll see if I can find a copy of that book.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 22-Feb-14 15:38:46

greta all those allergies must be tough thanks

gretagrape Sat 22-Feb-14 16:45:13

Well luckily he eats absolutely everything he is given, regardless of my experimental cooking skills (mmm, can't have white sauce on your pasta? How about a pea, leek and mushroom hybrid?)!!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 22-Feb-14 16:52:22

How about a pea, leek and mushroom hybrid?)!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now