Talk

Advanced search

River Cottage Veg Everyday.

(41 Posts)
RabbitPies Wed 19-Feb-14 12:44:32

Which recipes are worth making fom this? And which should I avoid? I've had the book for some time now,but have only ever tried two recipes from it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. TIA

holmessweetholmes Wed 19-Feb-14 12:50:00

This is my favourite recipe book! The soups are particularly good. I love the parsnip and ginger one. I also like his warm salad type dishes (I think there are several - with roast squash, lentuls, mushrooms, blue cheese etc). Oh and the flatbreads are lovely too.

TheBitterBoy Wed 19-Feb-14 12:58:46

Porotos Granados is fab, make sure you use smoked paprika though. I enjoyed the biriyani, even though it was a bit time consuming to make. Pinto bean chili is delicious. Lemony guacamole simple and tasty. Loads of lovely things I still want to try out!

mmmuffins Wed 19-Feb-14 13:58:18

This book is my favourite too, all of the recipes we've made have turned out very yummy!

AndMiffyWentToSleep Wed 19-Feb-14 16:38:42

Someone I know made some yummy savoury mini muffins from it - they were lemony, maybe courgette and fet or something?

TunipTheUnconquerable Wed 19-Feb-14 16:39:59

My favourite thing is the peanut butter and sweet potato gratin but I think you either love it or hate it!

MrsBodger Wed 19-Feb-14 16:51:44

Squash and chickpea stew, three root boulangere (looks terrible but tastes fab), tomato, thyme and goat's cheese tart, roasted cauliflower with lemon and paprika.

I luuuuurve this book.

I have only made three things and they were all terrible -
the chard curry was horrible (actually the potatoes and sauce okay but the chard was hideous) / the dhal was really, really bland / the boulangere was a watery mess.

I do fancy the potatoes tartare though, and the beetroot tart.

glorious Thu 20-Feb-14 20:38:56

Green bean and courgette salad with tahini
Dukkah
Squash and fennel lasagne
lettuce spring onion and cheese tart
cauliflower with toasted seeds
kale pizza (really! )

CaffeineDeficit Thu 20-Feb-14 21:45:14

Another vote for porotos granados here. Also, the puy lentil, rocket and fennel salad's delicious.

jonicomelately Thu 20-Feb-14 21:48:40

The artichoke and white bean salad is gorgeous. I often serve it with lamb or steak though which kind of defeats the object of the book.

BrianButterfield Thu 20-Feb-14 21:51:36

The aubergine parmigiana was lovely. The kale and mushroom lasagna was good but the mushroom layer was dry - I'd add some creme fraiche or something next time. The stuffed cabbage leaves did taste good but I found it kind of an odd dish.

SacharissaCripslock Thu 20-Feb-14 21:52:15

I just had this delivered today, perfect timing! grin

<makes notes>

TunipTheUnconquerable Thu 20-Feb-14 21:53:29

cauli pakoras are good - we had those again tonight.

Rooble Thu 20-Feb-14 21:54:12

I loved the mushrooms with polenta. Can't remember the correct name. Loved the swede pasties, too, but then calculated the calorific value on MFP and decided to make them half-sized next time!
Like the sweet potato gratin in small quantities.
I really love the whole book TBH

Bearleigh Fri 21-Feb-14 08:09:38

The store cupboard broth is surprisingly nice for something that isn't cooked for very long and has such simple ingredients.

CaterpillarCara Sun 23-Feb-14 21:19:35

Have so far tried (with thumbs up from the children, DH and I):
- cauliflower and chickpea curry
- peanutty noodly salad
- puy lentil, parsnip and watercress salad

AmericasTorturedBrow Mon 24-Feb-14 06:16:04

My favourite cookbook too

Love the salads and soups and lasagnes

Bearleigh Mon 24-Feb-14 08:45:00

MrBearleigh has done the chickpeas with cumin and spinach and that is very good.

The first time he did it it had biggish lumps of lemon rind which was better than finely grated, and makes me think that a bit of preserved lemon rind, chopped up might be even better.

ExcuseTypos Mon 24-Feb-14 08:48:14

My favourites are the aubergine parmigiana and the mushroom lasagna.

Am going to try to make some of the breads next.

capercaillie Mon 24-Feb-14 08:52:33

This is our everyday cook book.

Favourites are cauliflower pakora, vegeree, biriani, spinach and thyme pasties, North African chickpea stew, chickpea chard and porcini soup.

The lasagnes are also great and the Beetroot pizza has won over several beetroor haters

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 24-Feb-14 08:52:44

The bread dough is great. Use it all the time

Loved the squash fold overs
Carrot and cumin pittas
Beetroot tart tatin
The mushroom orzotto was nice too.
Cauliflour pakoras are nice
I enjoyed the beetroot and walnut and the carrot hummus (hummi?)

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 24-Feb-14 08:53:46

Did anyone else have trouble with the North African stew?

It was lovely up to the point you added the orzo then it went a bit watery and bleugh

hazelnutlatte Mon 24-Feb-14 09:00:41

Dressed puy lentils are delicious and go with loads of other things.
Honey roast cherry tomatoes
I also made the chard and potato curry but substituted spinach for the chard and it was lovely.
Parsnip and ginger soup

hazelnutlatte Mon 24-Feb-14 09:01:50

Oh also the root veg frittata was great, I now do this one whenever I have leftover veg that I don't know what else to do with

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now