Talk

Advanced search

Tried and tested ox cheek recipe, please!

(4 Posts)
mosaica Tue 18-Feb-14 16:25:33

Hi, I have two ox cheeks - I know they can be delicious but have never cooked them. Can you recommend a good recipe, please?

nickymanchester Tue 18-Feb-14 21:27:16

Two different recipes.

One is a cottage pie, which is absolutely fantastic. The recipe calls for shin of beef, but it works just as well with ox cheeks. This is an amazing recipe, even better done sous vide:-

www.britishlarder.co.uk/the-ultimate-cottage-pie/#axzz2ti7Pfhet

Then another thing I've done is basically a beef bourginone - I can't spell. Again, it works great with ox cheeks:-

Recipe for 4 people

1 bottle red wine
50ml brandy or port – optional
200ml stock
1kg meat
flour for dusting meat
1 bouquet garni (2 bay leaves, 2 sprigs of thyme, 2 sprigs of flat-leaf parsley)
4 juniper berries crushed – optional
1 onion diced
80g carrots peeled and diced
80g celery peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
12 button mushrooms

Pour the wine into a saucepan and boil until reduced by half to intensify the flavour, probably take about 10-15 mins. Add the herbs – and juniper berries if you have them - and allow to cool.

When cool add the meat, carrot, celery and onion and marinate in fridge overnight or as long as you've time for.

Remove and drain the meat and vegetables in a colander and keep the wine and herbs. Pat the meat dry.

Season flour with salt and pepper and toss the meat in it. Brown the meat in a frying pan over a medium heat in batches and remove.

Add the vegetables from above to the frying pan until browned.

Add the meat and vegetables to a cast iron casserole dish along with the wine marinade and herbs from above and the stock and brandy. Also add the garlic. Heat and then simmer for two or three minutes. Taste to see if you need any extra salt.

If you don't have a cast iron dish then do the above in a saucepan and transfer to a pyrex type casserole dish for the next bit.

Put in the oven at 160c / fan 140c for 60 mins. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 30 mins – so 1 1/2 hours in total.

If at the end, you think the sauce is too thin then remove the meat and keep warm. Reduce the sauce over a high heat or use some cornflour.

This tastes even better reheated and is also very easy if you've got friends coming round as you can do all the hard work a couple of days earlier. So I cook it for 60 mins and then allow to cool, if the sauce is too thin then I'll reduce it at this point. Then, on the night, all I've got to do is put the mushrooms in and heat it up for 30 mins.

nickymanchester Tue 18-Feb-14 21:44:13

Just realised that I made a little mistake above.

Cook for 90 mins and then add the mushrooms for another 30 mins so cook for 2 hours.

You can cook it for much longer than this - 3 or 4 hours - but I've found that it's really falling apart by this stage. Which is great if you're going to be shredding it for a cottage pie but not so much otherwise

Snowdown Tue 18-Feb-14 22:39:28

Daube de Boeuf
Serves 6

1kg Ox cheek trimmed, then cut into 100g pieces
2-3tbsp plain flour
2tbsp oil plus extra to sear if needed
1 large onion cut into large chunks
1 large carrot cut into large chunks
1 large celery cut into large chunks
1 thyme sprig
1 bay leaf
3 garlic cloves
500ml red wine
2.5 litres chicken stock

Preheat oven 160C
Season Ox cheek pieces and dust with flour.
Brown Ox cheek in an oven proof pan over a high heat, you may need to do this in batches. Remove meat and set aside.
Reduce heat and add carrot, onion and celery, with herbs and garlic. Fry for 5 mins then return Ox cheek to the pan on top of the veg. Add red wine and reduce to a syrupy glaze - about 10mins. Add chicken stock and bring back to the boil and remove from heat. Cover the surface with a layer of grease proof paper and a tight fitting lid. Cook in oven for 3-4 hours until the meat is meltingly tender.
Remove from oven, lift out meat with slotted spoon and set aside. Sieve cooking liquid and return to pan. Bring to boil and reduce by half, until it's a rich sauce consistency. Remove from heat and add meat to the pan. Serve!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now