Talk

Advanced search

Fruit smoothies

(5 Posts)
heavenlydevils Mon 17-Feb-14 15:45:06

My dcs have 'gone off' fruit (can't remember the last time my eldest willingly ate any!). I'm fed up of watching the contents of the fruit bowl being tipped in the bin every Saturday morning because they haven't eaten any! So, I will now have to trick and force them into it (they're very nearly teens btw, not toddlers!), smoothies seem a good option. Anyone know how to make them? I assume I need to just chuck fruit, milk and something else into the blender then serve, what is the 'something else' that I need? And what quantities do I need to make the fruit intake worthwhile?

Any other options also greatly received (they don't really like desserts)

21mealspluscake Mon 17-Feb-14 16:35:26

You could buy a juicer - I use mine nearly every day with a mix of fruit and veg - today had pears, ginger, beetroot, carrots and a red pepper -five a day for breakfast! Also have a compost bin for the pulp.

For smoothies I mostly do them in the summer with berries, banana and yoghurt with a splash of milk

lolalotta Mon 17-Feb-14 18:19:45

In the new year I bought this Compact Smoothie Maker with 2 Speeds & 2x0.5L Travel Mugs by KEN http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Z3MPLA/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_qhLatb0313MDK Kenwood smoothie maker it's fab and we have used it EVERY MORNING since, honestly! They are addictive! I tip a handful of frozen fruit in (you can buy this in TESCOS and waitrose), a slices very ripe banana, three desert spoons of full fat yeo valley vanilla Greek yoghurt and pour in milk to the height of all that and then wizz!!!! Tastes amazing, my toddler loves it too! grin

heavenlydevils Tue 18-Feb-14 12:57:16

Thank you for the replies. Have reserved the smoothie maker at Argos, am very tempted to get a juicer too as they do drink fresh orange every morning (well, not fresh as in I've stood squeezing oranges for them! Shop bought, sugar filled fresh!) Is the juicer very messy to clean?

21mealspluscake Tue 18-Feb-14 14:09:20

Not too bad for cleaning, it's big and does a lot in one go but it does take up a fair bit of bench space which would drive me mad if I didn't use it a lot. It does juice whole citrus though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now