Talk

Advanced search

sugar free/low sugar rice pudding recipe.

(6 Posts)
moodilicious Mon 17-Feb-14 13:06:31

Hi. I thought this might be a good way to get a bit more milk into my LO, but all the recipes seem to be very sugary. I thought I saw one on here using coconut milk. Does anyone have a good one. Thanks.

LyndaCartersBigPants Mon 17-Feb-14 13:33:05

Could you use some fruit to sweeten it? It would still be sugar, but maybe you would feel happier about natural sugar than processed? You could puree some mango or banana and add it to the cooked pudding.

Otherwise just use half the amount of sugar recommended in the recipe, I wouldn't have thought it would affect the way it cooks.

moodilicious Mon 17-Feb-14 14:25:09

Good ideas! Thank you!

OhSheesh Fri 21-Feb-14 08:43:55

I usually halve the sugar and it is fine. I also recommend xylitol, which is a natural sugar substitute made from plants (often birch). It has about 70 % of the calories of sugar, is suitable for diabetics and is so good for your teeth they put it in dental products. Apparently the only kind of cooking you shouldn't use it for is with yeast (kills it). It is also expensive. I would love to substitute most of my sugar but the cheapest I've found was about £6 a kilo, so I currently use it sparingly!

OhSheesh Fri 21-Feb-14 08:46:54

Oh! Forgot to say I always add some raisins too (straight after it comes out of the oven).

DrownedGirl Sat 22-Feb-14 21:09:06

Make a stove top rice pudding with rice flakes and milk but no sugar

Then serve with a sprinkle of brown sugar or a swirl of honey or maple syrup

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now