Talk

Advanced search

Cauliflower - do you trim?

(9 Posts)
HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Sun 16-Feb-14 18:28:36

Do you trim off the leaves? I do it automatically, but don't know why. Could I eat them?

I know lots of people trim off the green parts of leeks, and only eat the white. I like the green parts, and always include them. Are cauliflower leaves like that - perfectly good to eat, but people just don't?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 16-Feb-14 19:16:08

I trim off any tough outer leaves (and thicker stalks) because they're unpleasant but the more tender leaves that wrap themselves quite closely around the curds are fine.

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Sun 16-Feb-14 20:06:17

In what way unpleasant?

Middleagedmotheroftwo Sun 16-Feb-14 23:32:41

cauliflower leaves are fine to eat. I waste nothing!

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 17-Feb-14 07:01:36

Same as outer cabbage leaves I find them rather tough and a little bitter. Fine if you want to make a stock or something like that.

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Mon 17-Feb-14 07:41:17

I shall try them. Thanks.

mrspremise Mon 17-Feb-14 19:32:43

The little ones are lovely and we eat those, but the big, green, tougher ones belong to the rabbit. Everyone's a winner smile

kentishgirl Sat 22-Feb-14 18:51:30

I bung the outside leaves into the stockpile of veggie bits in the freezer to later go into soup/stock/pies.

starfishmummy Sat 22-Feb-14 18:57:13

I would normally cook them (removing any tough stalks) but don't anymore because dh doesn't like them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now