Advanced search

Left over chicken - what to make?

(10 Posts)
hulahoopsilove Sun 16-Feb-14 14:16:33

what can I make that's not curry?

Tkmum23 Sun 16-Feb-14 17:37:26

Chicken noodle soup

DandelionGilver Sun 16-Feb-14 17:38:51

A fricasee? Make a white sauce using butter, flour and stock (a stock cube in water is fine). Don't make it too runny, it needs to be quite thick. Then chuck in the chicken and any veg you feel like using (chuck it straight in if it's frozen or leftover, otherwise you'll need to cook it a bit first).

I serve it with rice usually.

Or do the same and make it into a pie.

Or, put into a bowl, add mashed potatoes to the top and cook in the over.

This always goes down well in my house, and uses up any leftover veg too.

drinkyourmilk Sun 16-Feb-14 17:40:58

We make risotto, stir fry, pies, serve with chips and beans, soup, sandwiches.

AMumInScotland Sun 16-Feb-14 17:46:13

Fajitas

gretagrape Sun 16-Feb-14 19:07:34

Chicken, leek and mushroom pie with shop-bought puff pastry on top.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 16-Feb-14 19:16:59

Chicken Fried Rice

mrspremise Mon 17-Feb-14 19:35:07

YY to noodle soup, and also chicken mornay, bake it in a cheese sauce and top it with grated Parmesan and crushed ready salted crisps.

BuzzLightbulb Tue 18-Feb-14 08:39:12

Sweet Chilli chicken and wraps. Same basis as chilli con carne but tastes completely different.

Fry an onion, add a can of chopped tomatoes and a red chilli, crushed garlic if you like, salt and pepper and chilli powder to taste, simmer until the tomatoes and onion have become sauce not chunks, add about a desert spoon of sugar or as much as you like for the sweetness of your choice. Add in any kidney or other beans and chuck in the chicken right at the end to warm through.

Serve with wraps, sour cream, sweetcorn, whatever.

Note - this isn't supposed to be a runny sauce, more a coating but if it looks like it's getting too thick just add a spoonful of water.

piebald Tue 18-Feb-14 09:36:06

Chicken Croquettes
soft fry small onion and garlic clove, make very thick white sauce with 50g butter , 50g flour and 350ml milk. . Add 250g chopped chicken and some chopped parsley and chives and grate of nutmeg and season. Cool till firm andsthen roll into teaspoon sizedd balls and flour , egg and breadcrumb. Lovely with pasta nad tomato sauce and brocoli. Not such a fiddle as it sounds and you can freeze them to cook at a later date. I made a heap with leftover turkey and ham at xmas
Recipe from HFW river cottage book if you want to read it in full

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now