Talk

Advanced search

I dont like mushrooms. Anyone got any receipes which will make me love them?

(8 Posts)
JumpingJackSprat Sat 15-Feb-14 16:41:16

I was thinking the other day as I am trying to eat more healthily it would probably be good if I could learn to like them. Im quite a good cook, any ideas what I could do with some lovely looking button mushrooms I bought earlier?

I really like mushroom curry, but my mushroom refusing dds won't be convinced.

Fry onion and garlic until translucent. Take out of pan into a bowl. Fry mushrooms. Shove onion and garlic back in with mushrooms. Add cumin seeds, turmeric, mustard seeds, green chilli and fry a bit. Add cream and a load of fresh coriander.

minipie Sat 15-Feb-14 20:02:39

Drown them in garlic butter? I'm not sure it's possible to make yourself like them though... they have a very distinctive taste.

addictedtosugar Sat 15-Feb-14 20:09:13

Bin them..

Ok, Is it taste or texture you dislike?

I cannot stand the texture, so anything other than very very very finely diced has me picking them out.

DH tried to convince me with some dried chinese mushrooms (of the legal variety), but they too are inedible.

dairymoo Sat 15-Feb-14 21:14:36

This mushroom bourguignon recipe from Smitten Kitchen is amazing.

JumpingJackSprat Sat 15-Feb-14 22:40:17

Thanks for the ideas ... It's the texture I don't like but mytastes changed with loads of things since the last c time I tried them - things I used to hate like stuffing which has a strong flavour. Now I love it. So I think maybe I will feel the same about mushrooms?

mamij Sat 15-Feb-14 22:58:46

Mushroom risotto.

Add finely chopped garlic and diced onion to a saucepan. Cook until soft/golden.

Add risotto (without stock) and stir to coat.

Add stock (bit by bit if you prefer but I tend to put it all in to save time standing in the kitchen).

Add finely chopping mushrooms.

When risotto is cooked, add cream and butter. And also salt/pepper.

PasswordProtected Sun 16-Feb-14 12:19:57

Blitz Boursin, mushroom stalks, wholemeal breadcrumbs, bacon lardons & an egg in the liquidizer. Season wth freshly-ground black pepper and use to top large, flat portobello mushrooms. Bake in the oven until topping is browned and crispy. Serve with green salad.

Slice small, firm chestnut mushrooms, microwave them with a good knob of butter on high for 3 minutes. Stir, add half a teaspoon of Marmite, stir again & nuke for another 90 seconds. Quick different side dish, but requires affinity to Marmite.

Make mushroom soup, add a potato as thickening, liquidize, add a splash of cream, squeeze of lemon juice, black pepper & grated nutmeg to season.

I also skin sausages, mix with chopped mushroom stalks and then use to make new "stalks" for the empty mushroom caps, which I bake in the oven.

I also add chopped mushrooms & chestnuts to meatloaf mixture with ground allspice & serve with bread sauce/red wine gravy, sprouts & roast potatoes or potato gratin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now