Talk

Advanced search

What's for Dinner?

(22 Posts)
Jaclyneyre84 Sat 15-Feb-14 13:09:51

i will start by saying I am not a great cook - I can make basic simple dinners (usually quite traditional style dinners). I am not a fan of simple food that involve chips, such as fish fingers etc..... I try to cook a balanced healthy dinner but just struggle with ideas. I am abit picky as I don't eat spicy food and my partner cant eat dairy and only a small amount of red meat.
so please can I have your suggestions or favourite simple home cooked dinners so I can expand my dinner plan!!
x

gretagrape Sat 15-Feb-14 15:28:02

Shepherd's Pie - but using chicken or pork instead of lamb. Using a mixture of various root veg instead of just potato on the top, eg sweet potato, swede, parsnip, plus some garlic to give it a bit more taste.

Spag Bol - but again using different meats, say turkey or pork mince. I grate carrot and courgette into the sauce and also add green lentils - bit more taste plus it means the meat goes further.

Easy pie using shop bought puff pastry on top - either leftover meat, mushrooms and gravy, fish, leek and white sauce (using stock in place of milk) , or root veg/pulses and gravy.

Ratatoiulle and pasta.

Stir-fried veg and noodles with a piece of plain grilled salmon on top. Put ginger, garlic, soy sauce and star anise in with the veg.

mrspremise Sat 15-Feb-14 15:33:09

We have our main meal at lunchtime at the weekend because of DH's shifts. . We had toad in the hole and onion gravy, then apple turnovers with custard. Snacky tea this evening smile

MinimalistMommi Sat 15-Feb-14 15:41:44

Dominoes.

HeyMicky Sat 15-Feb-14 15:42:16

Venison meatballs in tomato sauce, leftover potato dauphinois and green beans

HeyMicky Sat 15-Feb-14 15:45:18

For the rest if the week, we're having:

Roast
Baked salmon and stir fried greens
Spicy seafood noodle soup
Omelette and salad
Pork chops with mustard cream sauce
Chicken and bacon pasta

iklboo Sat 15-Feb-14 15:52:09

The 'romantic' Sainsburys meal for £10 we didn't get round to eating yesterday.

Northumberlandlass Sat 15-Feb-14 15:54:58

I've bought 4 lamb chops from butchers.
I have Aldi cauliflower cheese in freezer (which i haven't tried it yet), potatoes - think I'll cube & add garlic & roast... I also have carrots...might roast them too.....
All a bit vague really smile

iklboo Sat 15-Feb-14 15:54:58

Tomorrow: DH's family coming to see new house so we're having buffet stuff. Might have egg & SW chips later on if hungry

Monday: supposed to be eating out

Tuesday: Maggi Italian chicken & roast baby new potatoes

Wednesday: Spanish omelette

Thursday: spag Bol

Friday: chicken tikka kebabs & rice

Mintyy Sat 15-Feb-14 16:00:05

We are having beef stroganoff with rice and broccoli so that isn't terribly helpful to you.

How about starting a new thread titled "Looking for simple recipes for non-dairy, non-spicey, non-red meat dinners".

You would probably get a better response.

anja1cam Sat 15-Feb-14 16:05:38

Today we're having fish pie: coley and salmon chunks cooked in white sauce with peas and topped with mash.

Jaclyneyre84 Sat 15-Feb-14 16:07:43

thank you all, I can usually adapt most recipe's to suit - just wanted some ideas x

BigcatLittlecat Sat 15-Feb-14 16:08:30

Tonight is Shepherds Pie,
Sun - Roast chicken
Mon - Chicken Curry
Tues - Braised sausages and mash
Weds - Something with mince again
Thurs - something on toast as we are in late
Fri - Egg, beans and chips
We are so skint at moment doing food as cheaply as I can!!

MrsPnut Sat 15-Feb-14 16:11:30

I'm making Chinese style spare ribs tonight and have half a crispy duck and pancakes too.

Lizzylou Sat 15-Feb-14 16:13:35

Again, another one who won't help you, tonight we're having beef rendang and wholegrain rice.

Jamie Oliver's new book, Eat well for less is full of really good, healthy food that is pretty easy to make. I love it.
Favourites include:

Chicken and spinach cannelloni
Gangnam Chicken wings
Slow roasted pork ragu
Crispy pork tacos (with black peas, which I thought I hated but they are amazing)
Pork meatloaf with spaghetti sauce
Lamb koftas

SpottyTeacakes Sat 15-Feb-14 16:15:09

This week:

Sausage, mash, veg and gravy
BBQ pulled pork with tiger loaf and coleslaw
Oven baked risotto
Spag bol
Shepherds pie
Beef casserole
Oven food (for Monday when I work late and dp has to cook hmmgrin)

pregnantpause Sat 15-Feb-14 16:39:59

We're having a chicken and tomato pilaf tonight.

Duck with red cabbage and root veg gratin tomorrow.

Monday-left over duck soup

Tuesday- fried potatoes with chorizo, mushrooms and eggs
Wednesday- potato and Rosemary pizza
Thursday- cheesy butter bean burgers with tomato salsa.
Friday- roast chicken stuffed with raison and saffron cous cous
Saturday- minestrone with chunky bread rolls
Sunday- aubergine parmigiana

BigcatLittlecat Sat 15-Feb-14 16:55:06

Talk to me about cheesy butter bean burgers! They sound good!

Lizzylou Sat 15-Feb-14 17:02:09

Jamie Oliver's book is called Save with Jamie, I recommend it all the time and never get the name right blush

Thumbcat Sat 15-Feb-14 17:07:38

Tonight we have chicken, ham and leek pie (shop bought), roast potatoes, cabbage and gravy. Minimal effort but feels like a proper dinner.

MillyONaire Sat 15-Feb-14 17:09:52

BBQ - well the sun IS shining here (west of Ireland)
and salads!
Tomorrow: fish pie
Monday: ?

pregnantpause Sat 15-Feb-14 17:54:39

They are, I'm on my phone but they're the BBC goodfood ones, first to come up when you google butter bean burgers- you can freeze them toosmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now