Talk

Advanced search

Rib of Beef. What can I serve with it.

(13 Posts)
LuckyDayInHell Fri 14-Feb-14 12:35:16

I have bought a rib of beef for DH dinner tonight because it's his favourite. But what do I serve with it? I don't want to just do a bog-standard roast dinner. Although I will be roasting the meat.
TIA.

kotinka Fri 14-Feb-14 12:37:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alwayscheerful Fri 14-Feb-14 12:38:07

Dauphinoise potatoes and green beans.

WookieCookie Fri 14-Feb-14 12:40:47

Lucky DH

I'd like roast pots, yorkshires, chard or kale in garlic, chantery or baby carrots roasted in white wine & thyme

LuckyDayInHell Fri 14-Feb-14 13:47:18

Thanks!
Think I'm going to pick one suggestion from everybody. smile
I do think he'd miss the roast potatoes, so them. Green beans in garlic & def the baby carrots in wine. That sounds yummy!
Might sneak puréed parsnips in there too.

MelanieCheeks Fri 14-Feb-14 13:49:44

Roasted roots - chunks of carrot, parsnip, squash, red onion roasted in the oven. A few sprigs of rosemary and garlic cloves tucked in amongst them works well.

Vickiyumyum Fri 14-Feb-14 13:53:58

I was going to suggest roasted root veggies too, no rosemary though I hate the stuff. beetroot works well in there too.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 14-Feb-14 13:55:40

Wine.

WorkingBling Fri 14-Feb-14 14:41:18

I love rib of beef. I think it's the one cut that if you don't do roasties, people don't feel robbed. We do potato dauphinoise and it's amazing with the beef. Or, if you don't do that, do a cauliflower cheese as it's something you can make ahead and pop in the oven while the beef is resting so you have moe time for romantic cuddling. grin

Snowdown Fri 14-Feb-14 16:02:14

I'd do either Yorkshire puddings or roasties - you need a crunchy texture, dauphinois work well and some greens - spring cabbage, green beans or broccoli.

Taffeta Fri 14-Feb-14 16:11:56

Nigel Slater says in one if his books not to even think about serving beef without the yorkshirepuddingsroastpotatoesgravymustardetc as "your guests will hate you". grin

forgetdieting Fri 14-Feb-14 16:15:46

Cauliflower cheese is great, but if you want something lighter, why not do a celeriac puree? Or onion puree? For a quick sweeter tasting onion puree, use shallots. Here's the recipe I used - and a photo (under the beef ball):

4 large banana shallots
salt/pepper
50 mls double cream

Roughly chop the banana shallots and place in a saucepan. Cover with water.

Cook the shallots until soft - about 15 minutes.

Remove the shallots and place in a blender. Add a couple of spoonfuls of the cooking liquor to help the blending process. Add only enough - too much will make the puree watery.

Add the double cream (or full fat milk if you don't have any).

Blend until smooth. Season with salt/pepper.

LuckyDayInHell Fri 14-Feb-14 19:28:24

Shallot purée sounds really interesting definitely going to try that soon.

Completely forgot about roast root vegetables, now I have a craving for beetroot!

Really good, original ideas. Thanks so much thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now