Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Using up chicken...ideas please

(8 Posts)
ImMarmite Wed 12-Feb-14 21:28:15

....I've got half a chicken I need to use for tomorrow nights tea. Along with this I need to use up lots of veg, I have no pasta, eggs, corn flour in. We're moving in 5 days so no shopping allowed hmm

Any ideas please??

LaVitaBellissima Wed 12-Feb-14 21:29:27

Chicken soup?

LaVitaBellissima Wed 12-Feb-14 21:30:24

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/chicken-garden-soup

21mealspluscake Wed 12-Feb-14 22:24:53

Roast chicken dinner depending on the veg you have. Onions roast really well, potatoes, butternut, root veg all together and blanch carrots, peas, broccoli etc. make a light jus with the pan juices and a splash of wine or vinegar if you have no flour or other thickening agent. Actually really easy, very little faff and always a pleasure to eat.

Good luck with the move!

giraffeseatpineapples Wed 12-Feb-14 22:31:21

If you have a tin of condensed mushroom soup lurking in your cupboard you could cook the chicken in that and serve with veg?

maybe one of these otherwise www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/988637/allinone-roast-chicken-and-veg
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6639/spicy-chicken-and-veg-stirfry
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2451650/family-meals-chicken-and-veg-casserole

You can also make mash out of loads of unexpected veg, parsnips, brocoli, cauliflower etc

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 13-Feb-14 09:14:45

Is the half chicken cooked or raw?

ImMarmite Thu 13-Feb-14 09:15:18

Thanks for some ideas....it's looking like another chicken dinner as the "store cupboard" is looking very bare :/

anklebitersmum Thu 13-Feb-14 09:33:41

Do you have normal flour? What about whacking all the veg (barr spuds) and the chicken in a big pot and cooking it off a bit with some herbs, bay leaf etc maybe even an oxo cube or two add flour whilst veg/chicken mix is 'dry' in the pan. Stir well, add water, leave in oven.
Make mash add to top, crisp OR make pastry, add to top serve with mash!

If you don't have flour chop the spuds up in to cubes & add to pot, be less generous with the water & taa daa. One pot dinner (ideal when you're moving house).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now