Talk

Advanced search

Friday night - cook from scratch or m&s meal deal: What are you planning?

(22 Posts)
Raggydoll Wed 12-Feb-14 18:52:58

Not sure what to do ... The m&s menu looks great and I get free cava wink but I love to cook especially on special occasions - what is everyone else planning?

randomfemale Wed 12-Feb-14 18:56:19

My DH has promised me he is going to cook us both a lovely meal. I have requested a nice sirloin steak for main but leaving starter/pudding to him. He is a good cook so am looking forward to it smile

Skivvywoman Wed 12-Feb-14 19:08:24

I fancy the m&s deal too smile but if I can't get to shop it will probably sirloin steak new pots green beans and peppercorn sauce

Taffeta Wed 12-Feb-14 19:11:31

It's the one night of the year DH cooks for me. He always cooks the same thing as by the time Brownies run done, children in bed etc it's late and we are tired.

It's always big fat juicy scallops with chilli and garlic. And French stick and some dressed lambs lettuce and most importantly Prosecco. With chocolates for pudding.

Yuuuuuuuuum!

2beornot Wed 12-Feb-14 19:12:43

M&S for us. We've hardly seen each other all week so will be nice to just chill (not that I can drink bubbly though - booo!)

pussycatdoll Wed 12-Feb-14 19:12:49

Normal Friday night here
So Chinese & Pinot

Raggydoll Wed 12-Feb-14 19:43:23

the scallops sound lovely taffeta. if i do the m&s menu i like the sound of coques st jacques rack of lamb, and panacotta with cava . not sure i could produce a menu of same standard for 20.00

chocolateshoes Wed 12-Feb-14 19:46:19

I'm making cheese fondue ( inspired by the Winter Olympics!) followed by salad & then choclate & caramel pots. dH has been in France all week so will be lovely to eat our fav food together

Beanymonster Wed 12-Feb-14 19:49:01

The m and s meal, can you swap the alcohol for something none alcoholic but still nice? Pregnant and hormonal and this is a deal breaker!!

mrspremise Wed 12-Feb-14 19:57:02

Valentine's Day is a crock of shit. I'm making burgers for this week's Friday night fakeaway grin

Raggydoll Wed 12-Feb-14 20:56:20

well its just an excuse to have a nice supper really mrs premise and I'll take any excuse for something 'nice'

beanymonster, yes there are non alcoholic posh drinks instead smile

Raggydoll Wed 12-Feb-14 20:57:56

cheese fondue - do you have a special machine for that or can i use stuff i already have?

chocolateshoes Wed 12-Feb-14 21:25:05

I have a special heater to sit saucepan over on the table. But I guess you could cook on the hob, it's just it won't stay as warm & you might need to whack it back on the hob to reheat half way through.

vichill Wed 12-Feb-14 23:32:11

husband said to pick something from Jamies' 15 minute meals book. I chose the indian beef salad with naan from a local indian bakery. the obscure fresh ingredients are going to cost £20+. might as well go out.

There is an elderflower presse on the marks dine in menu.

WilsonFrickett Thu 13-Feb-14 17:09:57

M&S for me but DH responsible for 'sourcing' it so I fear by the time he gets his arse to the shop I'll be left with the veggie special and the cava will be gone.

StepfauxWife Thu 13-Feb-14 17:15:14

We're doing the Cook Valentines deal. Langoustines, Confit of duck, dauphinoise potatoes and lemon mousse. All for £20!

DH is responsible for heating and playing up. Minimum effort for me smile

StepfauxWife Thu 13-Feb-14 17:15:52

Plating up! Won't be impressed if he plays up..

Skivvywoman Thu 13-Feb-14 17:32:35

I went today and got Thai fish cakes,rump steak and peppercorn sauce,rosti potatoes, the 2 love heart shape puddings, and I'm sure it's a rose cava and I bought some broccoli florets too smile

fishybits Thu 13-Feb-14 17:38:04

Waitrose meal for 2 for 20 pounds got us. Not that we're into Valentine's Day at all but my parents are coming for the weekend and I can't be arsed to cook tomorrow.

Snowdown Fri 14-Feb-14 13:03:07

Lamb steaks with mint and pomegranate followed by dark choc mousse with double cream and lots of peach laced champagne and red wine....any excuse! grin

sarahandduck Fri 14-Feb-14 13:08:30

DH and I always have a takeaway...it's become tradition, so tonight will be Chinese with pre-dinner bubbly and post dinner red wine. Maybe an early night too.... ;)

ShoeWhore Fri 14-Feb-14 13:37:24

Dh is apparently cooking me steak and chips. He doesn't cook much but does a really great steak and chips, so that's alright with me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now