Talk

Advanced search

What do you eat at wknds?

(11 Posts)
daisydee43 Wed 12-Feb-14 13:52:26

I always feel I should do nice treat food at wknds but bored of getting pizza and sides/burgers - usually get some form of takeaway (shoot me down but no one of us are overweight) or eat out but any ideas - I also do nice wknd breakfasts like eggs and smoked salmon grin

Cat98 Wed 12-Feb-14 14:29:18

We either eat out on Saturday night (with tesco vouchers unless it's a special occasion!) or I make something nice like a curry or steak.

Sundays we generally ether have a roast, or something like toad in the hole or spag Bol. Stodgy comfort food!
Occasionally I'll make a soup or stew.

DomesticSlobbess Wed 12-Feb-14 18:13:54

DP and I both work a day each at the weekend so our days off together are in the week. That's when I do things like a fry-up for breakfast and for dinner I like to cook cottage pie or toad in the hole as they're meals he likes which don't taste great reheated (which is how DP usually has his dinner when he's working)

mumbaisapphirebluespruce Wed 12-Feb-14 18:41:50

Friday night is usually something easy to do but that feels reasonably celebratory about the weekend ahead. So some pan fried fish with an interesting veg or salad for a side. Sometimes it might be steak.

Saturday tends to be take out at least twice a month, but again, we eat healthily, cook from scratch every day etc, so I don't worry too much about that. It's usually pizza, sushi or something from the Greek place nearby. If we are cooking, it's a curry or I'll usually attempt a recipe from a book. Something that requires a little effort.

Sunday depends on what we are doing. I don't always have the time or inclination for a roast, but we have one at least once a month. Or it might be something equally hearty like a shepherds pie or beef and ale stew. All with lots of veg.

Skivvywoman Wed 12-Feb-14 19:10:33

Friday is usually a slow cooker meal as Friday is my busy day

Saturday is takeaway night

Sunday normally a roast but have been known to serve hot dogs and curly fries if I've been hungover

CoffeeChocolateWine Wed 12-Feb-14 19:19:11

We tend to do something involving eggs for Saturday breakfast - pancakes, eggs benedict, or with smoked salmon, or a full cooked breakfast. Either that or something like croissants.

Dinner wise, my DH loves doing a roast of some kind, and things like casseroles, shepherds pie, lasagne, fish pie...generally stuff that requires a bit more effort or a bit more prep and/or cooking time than our weekday meals. If we're feeling particularly indulgent then we'll sometimes do a cheese fondue...only a few times a year but it always feels like such a treat!

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 13-Feb-14 09:44:01

Friday night is usually home-made 'takeaway' and a movie.... Fajitas, curries using Pataks sauces, pizza.... because I'm a cheapskate. smile Saturday is often some huge long-winded, slow-cook creation with the spare portions put in the freezer for another day. Sunday I often do a roast something so that we have leftovers for the following week

Snowdown Thu 13-Feb-14 10:29:36

Usually features pizza, steak and not necessarily a roast but something a bit special - new recipe, labour intensive, time consuming etc.. Often we only eat 2 meals on down days - actually it just depends what we have planned, every weekend is different. If we eat out, it's on a Saturday lunchtime, not keen on going out for a Sunday roast...they rarely live up to expectations and the restaurants are too busy.

pregnantpause Thu 13-Feb-14 17:04:34

We eat nice late lunches- a roast, lasagne, paella, something substantial and lovely. usually from a recipe book, more often than not from a book that the MN cookbook club is covering that month.

Then in late evening we have a snacky type tea- nachos, pizza, eggs and soldiers etc. usually (in winter anyway) with a movie.

This weekend on saturday I'm planning a duck and red cabbage roast for lunch, and gem lettuce stuffed with spiced bulgar as our snack tea to eat on the sofa.

Sunday we're having a root veg gratin for lunch, with posh sausages, and homemade leftover duck spring rolls with plum sauce for snack tea.

But I love cooking and can spend hours planning what to eat.

Friday is usually takeaway or eating out, or a curry made lazily with a bought paste.

We usually have breakfast out on Saturday or Sunday, or if we don't I'll do pancakes or eggy bread or somesuch on one day.

Saturday dinner usually involves something easy, served with salad - so fajitas, tacos, M&S quiche etc.

Sunday is usually a veggie roast of some sort, or something 'proper' like a veggie lasagne or veggie shepherd's pie.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 13-Feb-14 20:59:57

We must be boring. Friday night is nothing special. We are usually busy on Saturdays so have things like pizza and chips or curry. This week we are making burgers. Occasionally we will have a Chinese. Sundays is usually a roast as its the one thing I can usually rely on dd eating.

Again DH works a lot at the weekends so when he has a day off we tend to do things like fajitas that we can all share. On the days I'm not working in the week, I tend to do new recipes or more time consuming food.

Breakfast at the weekend tend to be things like blueberry pancakes (DC favourite), jus rol pain au chocolat (I'm CMPI) or a full English.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now