Talk

Advanced search

Yoghurt makers and fresh milk

(3 Posts)
hillbilly Tue 11-Feb-14 21:01:24

I'm thinking of buying a yoghurt maker. It appears that you are supposed to use UHT milk, however i'd like to know if you can use fresh milk which surely is a healthier option. I know nothing about this so please feel free to correct me grin

daisychicken Tue 11-Feb-14 21:16:12

You can make yoghurt using fresh milk (I've put HFW recipe below) but UHT is IMO, just quicker and you don't need to heat the milk up. I also find UHT milk is thicker but that's just me! I use the lakeland yoghurt flask and inner container but have used the electric version with the small glass jars and I've used an ordinary flask.

Homemade yogurt using fresh milk (HFW)

You don't have to add the dried milk powder, but it helps to thicken the yogurt. Makes 500ml.

500ml whole milk

25g dried milk powder

3 tbsp live, plain, whole milk yogurt

Put the milk in a saucepan and whisk in the dried milk powder. Place over a medium heat until the milk steams and bubbles appear around the edge. Pour into a warmed mixing bowl and leave to cool until a thermometer reads 46C (or, in the absence of a thermometer, dip in a scrupulously clean finger and if you can keep it there for 20 seconds without causing undue pain, it'll be about right).

Whisk in the live yogurt, then cover the bowl with a lid or clingfilm, wrap it in a clean towel and put it somewhere warm - an airing cupboard or above a radiator, say. Alternatively, pour it into a warmed, wide-mouthed Thermos flask.

Check the yogurt after six to eight hours, or leave it overnight. If it's thickened and looks set, pour it into a clean, airtight container and refrigerate. Homemade yogurt isn't as thick as commercial brands, so if you prefer a thicker yogurt, strain it through a muslin-lined sieve set over a bowl in the fridge for a few hours.

——

For UHT yoghurt, I pour the milk into the container, add a tblsp of starter yoghurt (shop bought plain yoghurt) and sometimes I add milk powder (it helps make the yoghurt thicker but you can just drain the whey off and make it more like Greek yoghurt that way) and sometimes I don't. I then put it in the flask or yoghurt maker and leave it for at 8hrs or so (I usually make it overnight).

Hth?

hillbilly Wed 12-Feb-14 12:50:12

Thanks daisychicken - I am trying to phase out shop bought fruit yoghurt and fromage frais in favour of natural bio yoghurt with honey or fruit puree added then I though perhaps I'd go one step further and make my own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now