Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Easy tasty vegetarian recipes?

(21 Posts)
Swannykazoo Tue 11-Feb-14 16:10:51

SiL coming to stay for 4 days, and my lovely 7 week old has turned my brain to mince. Have to think of 3 more veggie main courses that are easy to cook - dinner 1 is gnocchi, sundried tomatoes, spinach, pine nuts. She's a vegetarian& doesn't eat fish

And yes - one option is to get her to cook for us instead but DH's relatives have been dreadful for turning up empty handed and expecting to be fed watered and to get a free cuddle with the baby at a time suits them but thats another story and SiL will hopefully be more reasonable....easier to have some idea for dinner

Swannykazoo Tue 11-Feb-14 17:08:31

The silence proves everything is nicer with bacon added

OneStepCloser Tue 11-Feb-14 17:27:00

Oki, my fail safes are:-

spinach and feta filo pie,
vegetarian hot pot (bbc good food thingy website),
veg lasagne (roasted veg in Tom sauce and a layer of spinach)
Mushroom and Pea Risotto,
veg fajitas,
chick pea curry (really lovely if you substitute one of the cans of chick peas with half cauliflower chopped tiny)
Naan bread pizzas.

And no bacon grin

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 11-Feb-14 17:29:14

Vege chilli
Sweet potato and chick pea curry
Vegetable moussaka
Stir fry with quorn
Nut roast
Stuffed peppers in a roasted tomato sauce

Swannykazoo Tue 11-Feb-14 17:30:37

Definitely like the sound of chickpea & cauliflower curry- and veg fajitas are an excellent idea too thanks

SaltyGoodness Tue 11-Feb-14 17:56:00

If only vegetarian food could include bacon grin

my easy standby is a frittata. Can also do hearty veg soup with crusty bread, and fried rice [ahem tragic loss of bacon there as well but it passes muster]

My fancy vegetarian standby is eggplant parmesan. Soooo delicious but a bit of a faff, I'm also at home with 7 week old DC1 and I'm most definitely NOT making this one for a few months!

Good luck with the visitors!

urmydarlings Tue 11-Feb-14 18:02:35

fry some onions add a chopped tomatoe and spices salt etc then chuck in a tin of chickpeas , add boiling watr and washed rice according to how much u want iyswim! yums

Swannykazoo Tue 11-Feb-14 18:04:42

Didn't realise nut roast was a real thing blush - will have to look up a recipe...thanks Giles

plantsitter Tue 11-Feb-14 18:07:12

A takeaway menu? You should not be cooking every night for a guest who has come to see your newborn!

Failing that, mushroom risotto is fairly easy and v tasty, macaroni cheese is easy and fine, omelette is dead easy and quorn sausages and mash are perfectly acceptable!

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 11-Feb-14 18:08:28

grin I really like it although I'll probably get shot by vegetarians now grin

OneStepCloser Tue 11-Feb-14 18:17:13

Soup is always easy, I make a veg minestrone with chunky bread makes a great meal.

OneStepCloser Tue 11-Feb-14 18:19:10

Plant makes a very good point there, seven week old baby, you shouldn't be cooking each night. Take away! grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 11-Feb-14 19:17:13

I'm not a veggie but we like this and there's no bacon smile

Swannykazoo Tue 11-Feb-14 21:09:22

Its very true about the cooking. I'm hoping to pull out my "oh look I have a baby stuck to my breast so I must remain on the sofa" trump card but need some ideas to direct DH to do!

Lifestooshorttosleep Tue 11-Feb-14 21:13:09

Sometimes a simple pasta with pesto, a fresh crusty french loaf and a bag of salad can be the easiest to knock up in under 15 minutes! I cook veggie a lot and this is a great stand by.

Dilidali Tue 11-Feb-14 21:21:27

You've just had a baby!!!
If you must, get some ready meals. Sainsbury's does an amazing quiche, DH can boil some potatoes and peas next to it, there you go smile

Mominatrix Tue 11-Feb-14 21:23:14

Roasted red peppers stuffed with tomato, garlic served with a herby couscous/pearled spelt

Gnocchi with a gorgonzola and spinach sauce

red lentil and coconut stew

Thai style pumpkin and chick pea curry served with jasmine rice

Shackshouka (? spelling) served with crusty bread

White bean and kale stew

creamy polenta served with a hearty mushroom ragu

MillyONaire Tue 11-Feb-14 21:30:24

Goat's Cheese Salad This is yum and you can prepare the GC the day before. And the beetroot.

Swannykazoo Wed 12-Feb-14 10:56:36

MMmmmmm - mominatrix I would eat everyone of your suggestions though am always disappointed polenta isn't mash if I'm ever given it in a restaurant [Irish emoticon inserted here!}
Milly good lunch plan for goats cheese salad for lunch - have also heard a rumour enough beetroot will turn your milk pink - fun times!

Thanks everyone!

TravellingToad Fri 21-Feb-14 09:45:43

An Indian dhal is very easy with rice

Redpriestandmozart Fri 21-Feb-14 10:37:50

If you want a bacon flavour with meat then liquid smoke is your friend smile I use it in a lot of my vegan recipes especially soups which would have had bacon added. It's often the smoke taste we miss rather than the meat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now