Talk

Advanced search

Slow-cooked gammon accompaniments?

(14 Posts)
Prforone Tue 11-Feb-14 01:02:28

Inspiration needed please ....

Am planning on doing slow-cooked gammon in brown sugar at the weekend for partner and dss, but unsure what I can serve it up with. And should I do gravy with it, or some other sauce?

ScarlettMantleplume Tue 11-Feb-14 01:15:42

Mashed potato and creamed leeks. No sauce needed.

ScarlettMantleplume Tue 11-Feb-14 01:17:20

And maybe carrots or broccoli lightly cooked to give something with a bit of bite to it.

Prforone Tue 11-Feb-14 01:21:49

Creamed leeks? Mmmmmm! Never thought of that!

HowBadCanThisGet Tue 11-Feb-14 03:03:44

red cabbage

magpieC Tue 11-Feb-14 03:06:56

Cauliflower cheese is yum with gammon.

theplanets Tue 11-Feb-14 03:13:13

I think gravy sounds nice. And ScarlettMantleplume's ideas sound nice! I'd choose carrots from the second post. Yum creamed leeks sound nice. Can I ask how you do that?

EugenesAxe Tue 11-Feb-14 04:37:08

I generally serve gammon with boiled carrots, roast potatoes and puy lentils prepared as follows:

Gentle simmer with a few whole cloves of garlic for about 40mins (no pre soaking needed)
Drain and stir through herbes de Provence and olive oil, with seasoning, all to taste.

Creamed leeks do sound yummy though. I fine the above suggestion doesn't hugely need gravy bit if you did one, the usual pan juices (I think the gammon was being finished in the oven wasn't it?), maybe loosened with a knob of butter, bit of flour for roux then stock/ puy lentil/ carrot/ potato water would work OK.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 11-Feb-14 06:39:47

I mostly serve Cranberry or Redcurrant Jelly with Gammon. Sweet/sharp fruit flavours go well with the salty ham.

Snowdown Tue 11-Feb-14 07:10:00

Whiskey sauce and colcannon.

ScarlettMantleplume Tue 11-Feb-14 08:58:23

I generally buy creamed leeks frozen as my stand-by I'm not cooking today vegetable. grin

To make your own, prepare and slice the leeks. Soften gently in butter (with garlic if you wish). Add salt, pepper, double or single cream and simmer gently until done. You can also top with cheese and pop under the grill, or throw in a handful of chopped bacon, or mushrooms. I've also used stock and melted in a dollop of Boursin.

BTW I like Snowdown's suggestion!

Allalonenow Tue 11-Feb-14 09:09:24

Potatoes Boulangere, roasted root veg with some whole garlic cloves, green peppercorn sauce.
Or
Spicy potato wedges and ratatouille.

mrspremise Wed 12-Feb-14 17:50:40

Fried eggs, potato wedges and peas

yummymumtobe Wed 12-Feb-14 17:52:26

Cauliflower cheese and ham/gammon are a match made in heaven!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now