Talk

Advanced search

Typically British food

(11 Posts)
mrsmerryberry Mon 10-Feb-14 20:13:41

My lo has got to take something British and foody into school for the class to try, anyone got any suggestions on what to take in? I don't mind having a go at making something if you can't buy it. Thanks

chemenger Mon 10-Feb-14 20:21:06

Scones, all the things from the recent Scottish food thread, welsh cakes, laver bread, Yorkshire pudding, Yorkshire curd tart, clotted cream, kippers, cheddar/Wensleydale or Stilton cheese, water biscuits, cream crackers, hp sauce, branston pickle, Victoria sandwich. Etc.

Funnyfoot Mon 10-Feb-14 20:21:22

Jam roly poly?
Any kind of steamed pudding?
Scones?
Bakewell tart?
Greggs sausage roll!!wink

meerschweinchen Mon 10-Feb-14 20:21:57

Scones were my first thought too!

pregnantpause Mon 10-Feb-14 20:30:52

Irish potato bread
Welsh cakes
Cornish pasties
Sausage roll
Scones
Shortbread
Tea loaf

Lots more less portable things too
Fish and chips- I believe mushy peas too
Neeps and tatties
Stew and dumplings
Cawl
colcannon

mrspremise Mon 10-Feb-14 20:40:23

Marmite.

JamNan Mon 10-Feb-14 22:03:24

Curry?
It's been in our culinary repertoire for the past hundred years at least. So I'll suggest kedgeree.

But roast beef and horseradish sauce is my image of English food plus bubble n squeak or meat pie and mash.

nickymanchester Tue 11-Feb-14 11:03:35

chemenger

Yorkshire curd tart

I had to do something like the OP for our dc when we lived in Russia. It turned out that they have almost exactly the same thing there as Yorkshire curd tart but instead of a pastry base it has a dough base it's called vatrushka.

So, it wasn't quite as exotic as I thought it was going to be.

As others have said, probably scones would be easiest - with jam and clotted cream perhaps?

Here is a really clear video explaining how to make clotted cream, it's dead easy really:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPan8OUl9Ps

mrsmerryberry Tue 11-Feb-14 14:01:44

Oh wow, what fab suggestions, I would not have thought of them. Love the scone suggestion, would you include the jam and butter/clotted cream or just take in the scone on it's own?

nickymanchester Tue 11-Feb-14 15:21:44

I don't know how old your dc is but I would suggest it would be better to take it all in separately along with a knife and spoon - either that or already have the scones sliced in two so you don't need to worry about them taking a knife in.

So, maybe take in a lunchbox with some scones, clotted cream in a little plastic tub and some jam in another little plastic tub. Then combine them in the traditional way in the classroom using a spoon.

If you don't fancy going the whole hog with clotted cream etc then it's still very easy to just slice and butter some scones and add some jam at home. Then wrap them in cling film for your dc to take to school and all they have to do then is unwrap them in the classroom.

meerschweinchen Tue 11-Feb-14 20:15:56

Yes, definitely include the jam and clotted cream! You can then explain the whole debate about which one goes on first, and let them choose which way they want to do theirs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now