Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you use a food processor to make marmalade?

(6 Posts)
Wigeon Sun 09-Feb-14 18:42:52

DH currently making his annual batch of marmalade. He usually chops up the fruit by hand, which takes blimming ages.He likes quite visible strips of orange in his marmelade. Can you use a food processor to chop the oranges? Do the oranges just turn to mush? He reckons that the slicing blade might work, but I reckon that the main knife in the bowl would be better.

Any top tips?

prettybird Sun 09-Feb-14 18:47:27

I've just made mine and sliced by hand. I think I would go with the slicing blade - I'd be worried about the "main" food processor just blitzing it into bits. Think chopped onions.

Onykahonie Sun 09-Feb-14 23:41:54

I've never made mine 'by hand'. My mum has made hers in a liquidiser for years, so that's how I make mine. You still get enough chunks of peel, depending on how much you blitz the fruit skins.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 10-Feb-14 06:13:42

How about hand slicing some of the peel so that you get some nicely shaped chunks but pulse-processing the remainder?

Wigeon Mon 10-Feb-14 13:04:46

Thanks everyone! DH did use the slicer blade on the processor in the end, posting the half-oranges down the funnel thing. The slices were smaller than he's used to, but not all mushed. So fingers crossed it tastes nice!

I hate marmalade myself (and hate the smell of cooking marmalade even more), so I'm glad it's all over for several months!

Taffeta Tue 11-Feb-14 15:58:23

Too late but yes! Saves an age, tastes de lush still have good pieces of peel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now