Talk

Advanced search

starter to bring to party

(10 Posts)
mavornia Sat 08-Feb-14 22:03:55

I'm having dinner at a friend's house next week and offered to bring the starter. There will be 8 of us. The type of starter I normally make isn't really suitable and it will have to be portable for me to take in a taxi. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 08-Feb-14 22:25:20

How about something in (portable/durable) ramekin dishes that you can either serve straight or invert onto plates? Things like smoked salmon parcels, home-made pate or potted shrimp. Bag of frilly lettuce and a bottle of dressing to make up the plates... crispy toast if applicable

missmoffatt2705 Sun 09-Feb-14 09:14:50

How about smoked mackerel pate with toasted pitta bread? Or even melon and parma ham?

mavornia Sun 09-Feb-14 23:23:53

Thanks, I'll have a go at making pate and see how it turns out before the dinner party

tb Mon 10-Feb-14 18:35:46

When you make the mackerel paté, add a few drops of Tabasco sauce and it gives it a really nice flavour.

Ragwort Mon 10-Feb-14 18:39:56

Mackerel pate is really delicious and very easy.

JonSnowKnowsNothing Mon 10-Feb-14 18:43:56

Smoked salmon terrine is gorgeous and so simple - salmon, philly, lemon juice , bit of dill, whizzed up.
Or, how about a grilled halloumi skewer marinated in some curry paste mixed with yoghurt...

BlueChampagne Tue 11-Feb-14 15:34:21

1 pack smoked salmon
1 pack oatcakes
1 pack cream cheese (optional)

Assemble on arrival

chicaguapa Tue 11-Feb-14 15:44:41

Jamie does a nice smoked mackerel pate with horseradish. I made it once but then suddenly my MIL didn't like smoked mackerel. hmm

I think I used less horseradish as it's not to everyone's taste but it complements the fish very well.

SaltyGoodness Tue 11-Feb-14 16:59:01

Mackeral pate's a lovely idea. Soup also travels well if you want other ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now