Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Foolproof toad in the hole!

(13 Posts)
LastOneDancing Fri 07-Feb-14 10:37:34

Could anyone link me to, or give me, a foolproof recipe for toad in the hole tonight please?

I've made it a number of times using a Delia recipe but it either comes out soggy or like one big empty crust with no squishy middle bit.

I have tesco pork & onion sausages to use, in case that makes a difference?

Thanks everso much!

brass Fri 07-Feb-14 10:45:15

batter - cup of flour, cup of milk, 2 eggs

size of your dish matters as to whether you end up with soggy or crusty

my measurements work for my rectangular pyrex roasting dish

LastOneDancing Fri 07-Feb-14 10:47:28

Thanks brass - 'cup' as in US cup?

And dish sides - high or low for success?

HowBadCanThisGet Fri 07-Feb-14 10:53:36

The most important thing is to make sure your fat is really hot before you put the batter in.

I cook the sausages on 180 for a bit, and then turn the oven up to 225, and make sure the fat sizzles when you start to pour the batter in.

I actually don't measure out my batter (I have been making Yorkshire puddings about once a fortnight for about 15 years), I put about 5oz flour in a mixing bowl, and then add about 2 eggs until all the flour is absorbed. If it takes 3 then so be it.

then add the milk a drop at a time, making sure it is properly combined before you put any more in. When you have enough milk in it is the consistency of double cream.

I do mine in my metal roasting dish.

brass Fri 07-Feb-14 11:02:04

cup is just a normal household mug, exact size doesn't matter so long as your milk and flour are the same iyswim.

sides of roasting dish are slightly lower than the round pyrex dishes you get.

and agree with enough hot fat in the dish before you put batter in

SweetPeaPods Fri 07-Feb-14 11:03:35

And try not to open the oven once the batter goes in until they are ready.

nickymanchester Fri 07-Feb-14 12:14:52

If you're looking for metric weights, this is the recipe I use:-

3tbsp beef dripping or lard
6 sausages
2 eggs
100g plain flour, sifted
85ml whole milk
85ml water
1tbsp wholegrain mustard

1. Preheat the oven to 220C. Heat half the fat in a frying pan over a medium heat and brown the sausages on all sides.

2. Meanwhile put the eggs in a large bowl and beat, preferably with an electric hand whisk, until thick. Beat in the flour and milk alternately until smooth, then stir in the water and mustard and leave to sit for 15 minutes.

3. Put the remaining fat in a roasting tin (about 25cm x 20cm) and put in the oven to heat. Once the sausages are browned all over, and the batter has rested, take it out of the oven and put over a medium flame. Pour in the fat from the sausage pan, followed by the batter, which should sizzle as it hits the tin. Add the sausages and return to the oven.

4. Bake for about 35 minutes until well risen and golden, then serve immediately

LastOneDancing Fri 07-Feb-14 12:17:38

Fab replies. Thank you!

Spaulding Fri 07-Feb-14 16:42:03

This is the recipe I use (minus the gravy)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5822/toad-in-the-hole-in-4-easy-steps

And sometimes I do individual toad in the holes in a muffin tray, following this recipe... (the batter comes out really big and fluffy)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/mini-toad-holes

BaconAndAvocado Sat 08-Feb-14 18:18:34

I use the recipe from the cook book "How to Feed your Family a Healthy Balanced Diet etc etc ".

The whole family LOVE toad in the hole, especially the hole!

FurryDogMother Sun 09-Feb-14 15:18:33

I've found that it makes a difference if you use a metal pan rather than something like Pryrex - it transmits the heat better and consequently the batter rises better. Having said that, my latest toad (as pictured) was a bit 'all sides and no middle' but it was still delicious smile

LastOneDancing Sun 09-Feb-14 21:48:57

Thanks for the replies!

I had a go at HowBadCanItGet's recipe - mixed 2 eggs into about 100g of flour and slowly added milk until it was like thick cream.

Worked an absolute treat - eggy and fluffy but not soggy at all! Thank you!

AbouttoCrack Sun 09-Feb-14 21:51:51

I did it. I did it!
It totally worked. 2 sons ate the lot.
You lot are ace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now