Talk

Advanced search

Can I make Leak and Potato soup with left over Mash?

(22 Posts)
addictedtosugar Wed 05-Feb-14 20:06:42

Got a pile of Mash left over, and leaks.
Need lunch for work tomorrow.
If I cook off the leaks, can I mix leaks, mash and stock to make soup, or will it all go weird?

Cheers

RhondaJean Wed 05-Feb-14 20:08:31

Martha Stewart seems to think you will be fine

www.marthastewart.com/332291/potato-leek-soup

nevergoogle Wed 05-Feb-14 20:10:04

I'd be tempted to make something like a leek and potato cake instead.

LadyMaryLikesCake Wed 05-Feb-14 20:13:09

I wouldn't, it would make the soup thick and mushy. How about mixing with some cheese and thinly sliced leeks? Cheesy mash, just add some beans and you have heaven in a dish. wink

funnyossity Wed 05-Feb-14 20:13:54

I have used leftover mash as a thickener in soups , mixing it in after the rest of the veg has cooked down. It is fine.

addictedtosugar Wed 05-Feb-14 20:16:43

Hmm, Lady Mary. Tempted by that idea.
I'm thinking it wouldn't thicken any more than cooking potato and blending tho?

LadyMaryLikesCake Wed 05-Feb-14 20:19:51

I don't blend, it damages the bonds or something so makes it like sludge. Good potato and leek soup needs some potato chunks (IMO).

I love cheesy mash and beans, so I'm very slightly biased. grin

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 05-Feb-14 20:21:54

I have used left over mash in leek and potato soup - but then I'm a "chuck it all in and leave it to simmer" soup maker. It is no different when it is blended at the end. I use leeks and carrots, stock and a pinch of mixed herbs plus the mash. I blend it at the end and stir in some single cream.

mrspremise Wed 05-Feb-14 20:23:22

I do it all the time... if you're going to blend it to a smooth soup anyway th30en you're onto a winner,. Make sure that you allow for any seasoning in the mash when you do the soup though speaking from way too salty experience blush

LadyMaryLikesCake Wed 05-Feb-14 20:24:04

Hmm. Maybe I blitzed it a bit too much! blush

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 05-Feb-14 20:24:13

Oops LadyMary blush

I blend it because my DDs used to complain if it was lumpy but they loved it smooth. It is just force of habit now.

LadyMaryLikesCake Wed 05-Feb-14 20:29:08

smile

addictedtosugar Wed 05-Feb-14 20:43:10

hmm, considering I usually only blitz half of it, and leave the other half lumpy, I've taken inspiration from LadyMary. But I've softened the leaks in some butter, and now they are cooling awaiting addition to cold mash and cheese, awaiting a turn in the microwave tomorrow.
Will make a judgement call on the beans tomorrow... Got an all afternoon meeting, and not convinced on the effects of beans and 3 hrs in a room!
Thank-you

LadyMaryLikesCake Wed 05-Feb-14 20:44:44

grin YAY!

Try it with ketchup and a little salt sprinkled over the top instead of beans. Still good but won't cause the room to become windy.

addictedtosugar Wed 05-Feb-14 20:46:13

Not a chance on the ketchup. Vile stuff.
And there was me thinking cake lover, and great lunch ideas, you must have amazing taste. Changing my mind now grin

LadyMaryLikesCake Wed 05-Feb-14 20:47:56

Ketchup is great on fishfinger sandwiches. Every home should have a bottle. wink

Oh, and a cake. Every home should have fresh cake too.

addictedtosugar Wed 05-Feb-14 20:54:02

Ketchup is vile.
We have a bottle in the house.

Unfortunately we don't currently have a fresh cake. We do have gingerbread men and apple crumble tho.

DS1 and I can't eat the stuff quickly enough. Need DH and DS2 to come back and help us out. Then we can get back in the kitchen. I'm thinking chocolate brownies next. Would that get Lady's approval?

TeamEdward Wed 05-Feb-14 20:56:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

addictedtosugar Wed 05-Feb-14 20:58:06

I've not got any mash left, TeamEdward, but tell me more, please. I have potatoes.

LadyMaryLikesCake Wed 05-Feb-14 21:01:37

Chocolate brownies are good. Are they the gooey ones?

You could make fishcakes with left over mash. Some flaked (cooked) cod, some parsley, salt and pepper, a little lemon. Mix together, shape and coat in breadcrumbs.

TeamEdward Wed 05-Feb-14 21:11:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

addictedtosugar Wed 05-Feb-14 21:17:33

Are they any other types of brownies, Lady? Sure its just cake if cooked though and if you don't turn the oven quite high enough, sometimes you need a spoon for the middle

Will keep that one for next time my Gluten free friend visits, thanks, TeamEdward. She is always overwhelmed I make gluten free choc cake when she visits, so now I can expand the repertoire.

Right, off to mix leaks and potato, and then off to bed.

Enjoy the munching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now