Talk

Advanced search

A good place to store recipes online?

(20 Posts)
mimolette Wed 05-Feb-14 09:16:45

I have a much-loved ring binder, full to bursting of recipes - magazine clippings, printouts etc. Many are very well used. Others didn't work or no longer suit my taste, but can't easily be torn out. Others still never get found as there is now so much in there and it is hard to search (I have it sorted by meat/veg/pasta etc, but that isn't always helpful if you have ingredient X to use up.)
I would love to have a clear out, but don't think I can face typing or writing out the recipes that I want to keep - there will be hundreds!
So one option could be to photograph the recipes I like and then store them online somewhere, with searchable titles and ideally categories you can tick (eg easy/starter/Indian etc). Does such a site exist? It would be even more amazing if I could also store links to things I find online, and cut and paste recipes, while still being able to search them all.
I am a big fan of cookery magazines and weekend paper food sections, so the selection of clippings (real or photographed) is only likely to get bigger.
Would also be very interested to hear of any other ways people store recipes.

JamNan Wed 05-Feb-14 11:48:52

My magazine cuttings are stored in a huge box file in folders or clear plastic folders. I also keep a recipe folder on my computer which I can search by using the finder feature. I must admit I do prefer to have the recipe in paper form in front of me when cooking so I often print it out which is rather defeating the object.

But have a look at this clever idea:
online storage

mimolette Wed 05-Feb-14 12:20:30

Thanks, JamNan. Some interesting ideas in that article. Evernote sounds like it might be the best bet out of the ones they list. Has anyone tried it?

missinglalaland Wed 05-Feb-14 12:23:41

I use Pinterest to store my online recipes. It's easy and I like that it is visual. It's a good place to search for new recipes too!

WholeLottaRosie Wed 05-Feb-14 12:41:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

WholeLottaRosie Wed 05-Feb-14 12:44:57

Shosha1 Wed 05-Feb-14 12:48:57

Pinterest here as well. So much easier and as I work as a nanny I have always got them with me wether at work or home.

WholeLottaRosie Wed 05-Feb-14 13:03:21

poocatcherchampion Wed 05-Feb-14 13:30:13

Ive just been pondering this exact thing. thank you op and thank you mumsnet!!

poocatcherchampion Wed 05-Feb-14 13:31:09

i've also added a step of ensuring I cook a recipe before it makes it to the filing department. otherwise some things never get made. so I have a kind of holding folder too..

poocatcherchampion Wed 05-Feb-14 13:33:25

awesome. we are eating a yummy good housekeeping soup, which I have now searched for and pinned in a new board on pinterest.

exciting! and took all of 10 secs!

mimolette Wed 05-Feb-14 13:50:39

Ooh, thank you all. So looks like I need to join Pinterest.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 05-Feb-14 17:43:08

I use both Pinterest and Evernote.

I had reams of cutting and ripped out things that I scanned into Evernote (well, I chucked most of them as they were mostly not that great on 2nd look!), then threw away the paper copy. Now if I am out and about and see a recipe that I like, I can scan it from my phone and upload it into Evernote. I also use it for non-recipe things too.

Pinterest I use like a massive scrap book, and I mostly pin (from pinterest), recipes that I have found on Pinterest in the 1st place. Pinterest is much prettier and more 'fun' to play in, whereas Evernote is very efficient and slightly drier.

Obvs both sites - and all similar - risk the loss of info if for example the site dies somehow, or as the world moves on and it becomes obsolete. So I'd not save any precious recipes (if I had any) there and there alone.

2tfrutti Wed 05-Feb-14 17:50:52

Have a look at the Paprika app . Think is about £2.99. You can download recipes from loads of different sites and then categorise etc. you can menu plan and then produce a shopping list if you're that organised!

mimolette Wed 05-Feb-14 18:47:32

Hazel, thank you for explaining the difference between the two sites. At first glance, Pinterest looks very pretty and visual, but so far most of my recipes are just plain text print outs or cut outs. I like the idea of photographing new things on my phone and adding them straight in, which sounds more like Evernote.
Will try and play around with both and see where I get. Also good point about things disappearing online. That can be a risk with online links - newspapers, TV show sites, etc often take content down after a while IME, so I should be careful about relying on that too much. Hopefully Evernote and Pinterest are established enough now to disappear without warning, but, even with warning, it was a bit of a faff when google reader died.

mimolette Wed 05-Feb-14 20:06:23

2tfrutti, have just googled Paprika. It looks good and I like the idea of shopping list option. But it doesn't sound like I would be able to add photos of my current recipe clippings - only online links or things you have typed in. Is that right?

Furball Thu 06-Feb-14 08:07:01

I scan mine in or copy and paste from online and create PDF's and just store them on my pc in different PDF sections under one folder. Works well, and you can search words if you can't be bothered to look properly etc.

marjolaine Thu 06-Feb-14 08:40:34

I use pepperplate as there's a website and app (which is free). I used to use the bookmark button to add a recipe to my list from a website which is good if you save a lot of recipes from online. Haven't added a recipe in months though so can't remember how you'd add your legacy system of recipes, there might be an option to scan or you might need to type them all in.

Mcnorton Thu 06-Feb-14 08:43:46

I use evernote for this (and everything else). its good because you can search for text in photos , and I photograph recipes as well as clipping them from the web. plus I tag them for easy retrieval .

Newhere2 Thu 06-Feb-14 13:30:24

How do you use pint rest? Do you search the recipe online and 'pin it' from where ever you find it (newspaper article etc) or can you upload it yourself? I'd like to use pint rest to do it but am afraid that the articles / recipes will be taken down from where I've pined it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now