Talk

Advanced search

Two roast chickens-how many meals?

(17 Posts)
BigBirthdayGloom Tue 04-Feb-14 19:09:15

There are five of us-two adults and dc aged 8,5 and 2. I normally figure on three meals for the two chickens plus a sandwich or two, but surely I can do better? Please can I ask for ideas?

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 04-Feb-14 19:21:50

1. Roast chicken
2. Chicken curry
3. Chicken risotto
4. Chicken and leek/ham/mushroom/ pie
5. Chicken soup
6. Chicken sandwiches
7. Cold chicken and chips

I reckon you could at least make that lot if they're large chooks.

SuckItAndSee Tue 04-Feb-14 19:24:47

oh god, not the never ending chickens again.

i get two meals per chicken. One roast, one curry/risotto. Sometimes some sandwiches as well.

Fairylea Tue 04-Feb-14 19:27:41

I have no idea how people make a chicken go so far... There are 4 of us (two adults and 2 dc, one a toddler) and one chicken = 1 roast dinner and possibly a few bits for a sandwich or two the next day.

Every time I try to add the meat to a paella or whatever else everyone complains it tastes funny! (Not like if I use fresh chicken I mean).

Methe Tue 04-Feb-14 19:32:14

4 of us - One chicken = one meal with possibly enough for a sandwich for me to take to work left over.

hootloop Tue 04-Feb-14 19:35:41

One chicken one meal and give the rest to the cat (taken off the bone obviously).

littleredsquirrel Tue 04-Feb-14 19:38:44

2.5. from each chicken as long as the recipes don't require a lot of meat

So chicken risotto only needs a handful of chicken, same with chicken pasta bake. Possibly also Moroccan chicken if you do lots of vegetables.

If you have roast chicken dinner you'll get far less out of it.

lilyaldrin Tue 04-Feb-14 19:38:45

We (me, DP and 3 year old) usually find a chicken does:
a roast dinner
one other dinner (curry etc),
a soup/stew type meal
maybe a sandwich too

SecretWitch Tue 04-Feb-14 19:43:27

Hootloop, same for my family and cats. I just cannot not find the magical feed a family of five for a week MumsNet chicken.

mrspremise Tue 04-Feb-14 20:18:18

Dont forget makng stock from the carcasses - add a cheap bag of red lentils, and onion and a pinch or three of curry powder and you've got a big pot of soup smile

breatheslowly Tue 04-Feb-14 20:22:49

Surely it depends on how big your chicken is. Some are huge, others are tiny.

Methe Tue 04-Feb-14 20:26:10

Surely boiling the chicken carcass for long enough to make decent stock uses more money worth of gas than it would costs to buy a whole other chicken? And some stock cubes.

lilyaldrin Tue 04-Feb-14 20:39:23

I don't know - if I make a soup or stew from the chicken carcass I usually simmer the carcass for about an hour, then take it out and add the vegetables/barley/meat and simmer for another 45 minutes/hour.

NettoSuperstar Tue 04-Feb-14 20:44:18

I make one middle sized chicken last three and and a half months worth of meals, between just me.
I am greedy.

There is no answer to this question.
It depends how much meat you serve, how big the chicken is, and how much you lie on here grin

AnneEyhtMeyer Tue 04-Feb-14 21:00:54

I worked with a woman who would list the meals from a chicken like MiddleagedMotheroftwo. I was baffled until I went for dinner at her house and discovered her "portion of chicken" was basically a dessert spoon of chicken.

A large chicken (2kg) in this house (2 adults and 1 child) gives a roast dinner and a pasta meal with sandwiches for DD and DH. Unless DH and DD get to the chicken before I put it away, in which case there would be nothing for sandwiches and the second meal would be threatened.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 04-Feb-14 23:55:06

Disclaimer: I buy large chickens!!

WilsonFrickett Wed 05-Feb-14 10:43:33

I always buy a large chicken! And would reckon to get for three (although DS doesn't eat much)

Roast dinner
Curry
Chicken pie/or chicken pasta bake
Stock

If it's a huge chook and DH didn't get to the bird first I might be able to stretch either the curry or pie into four adult size portions, so doing two meals.

I was re-reading Nigella the other day and she said if roasting one chicken, just chuck another in too and I could see the sense of that if you have a freezer - could get a lot of food prepped in advance that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now